Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Already fruit on raspberry primocanes?

Posted by lovemyfruit 9 norcal (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 7, 13 at 15:11

This is my second year with my Caroline raspberries, and the tops of the primocanes are already loaded with fruit. I don't remember this happening until mid/late August last year. Is this normal? Could it have to do with the fact that due to my own inexperience, they didn't grow well last year (3-4 ft tall), but have done extremely well this year (6-7 ft tall)?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Already fruit on raspberry primocanes?

I couldn't begin to really know what the "normal" season is in a climate so different from mine, but here, they generally start to bud up in early August, just as the last fruits of the summer crop ripen, and generally can pick the first ripe fall fruits around Labor Day, with the crop peaking around the Equinox to about Oct. 1st.

o
RE: Already fruit on raspberry primocanes?

Find someone in your area who successfully raises this luscious berry! Do you have a USDA extension office? Sometimes, they can refer you to a master gardener who can share info.

The precocious behavior of many fruits seems countrywide. My priomocane red rasp also bloomed weeks ahead of schedule. I pruned the top 6 " off all of them and now the new laterals are full of blossoms. ( I usually do this pruning anyway, just not in the month of June)! You might try this on 1/4th of your patch and record the differences as to length of production, amt. etc.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here