Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
milehighgirl_gw

PF-1 peach seems to be cheating nature!

milehighgirl
11 years ago

We picked ripe, 7-8 ounce peaches this weekend - in Colorado! The cherries are just ripe now and the apricots are almost ripe, yet the PF-1 put out absolutely scrumptious, juice-running-down-your-arm peaches as if it were normal. Ripe full-sized peaches in June? This seems way too good to be true.

The Earlistar are almost ripe now, but I don't think they will size-up the way the PF-1's have. I've heard that early peaches don't compare to later ones, but since the O'Henry's are green and smaller than golf balls, I'm quite certain that there's nothing out there that will compare right now, and they are 100 times better than any peach you could buy right now.

I feel terrible now because I had decided I didn't want the tree and was going to try to find a Harrow Diamond instead. So this terribly loaded peach tree is in a 5-gallon pot which I put in the ground to keep it from freezing 2 years ago.

When it goes dormant this year I will plant it properly and give it the respect it deserves.

Comments (15)

• alan haigh
    11 years ago

HD is about a week later so if you can find it plant it as well.

• olpea
    11 years ago

Milehigh,

My PF1 started picking near the beginning of June. Normally this peach picks the 1st of July. Everything is very early.

I was a little disappointed in the PF1s this year. It was better than a grocery store peach, but I thought the quality has been better in years past (or maybe my standards are subconsciously moving up).

I sold the peaches at a discount because I didn't think they were as sweet as they should be. I've had a few problems with this peach not being sweet enough before, but this is the first time I've had problems with the first picking.

All the other early peaches, including Earlystar were much better - plenty of sugar.

Flat Wonderful produced for the first time this year. I just got through picking the last of those peaches. It's a very nice peach with a slightly different flavor and texture.

I'm going to try to get Harrow Diamond. Hman's recommended this peach as a good early season peach for years and I've wanted to try it.

• milehighgirl
    Original Author
    11 years ago

olpea, I've only been able to find Harrow Diamond at Edible Landscapes as a potted tree. I've looked for it for years and no one seems to have it. I got some custom grafted apricots from Robert Purvis that were very nice trees. Maybe he will make me a Harrow Diamond. I know he has a tree he can use for scion.

I think Colorado is a good peach-growing state. The above-mentioned Robert explained to me that fruit is sweeter if the nights are cooler. Something about the cool nights let the tree rest and not have to use sugars during the night.

• alan haigh
    11 years ago

I got wood. HD is getting hard to find, probably because it is a lousy tree as far as generating new wood and it's hard to keep from getting lanky. With summer pruning to let light into interior wood I think the tree can be managed for a reasonably long productive life.

• olpea
    11 years ago

Milehigh,

I don't know anyone who carries Harrow Diamond other than Edible Landscaping. I think Hilltop nursery carries it, but they require a large minimum order and I've never ordered from them before. I planned to just get a potted tree from Edible Landscaping.

I'm sure CO is a better place to grow fruit lately. It's been smoking hot here. Everything's out of wack.

Hman, I've not had much success grafting dormant peach wood, but thanks for offering. If it turns out I can't get a tree from Edible Landscaping, I may yet try to get some wood from you and try to dormant graft the tree.

I budded a couple dozen peach/apricot trees about a week ago, just before this hot spell. I'm worried with this 100 degree weather, the grafts will all be cooked.

• milehighgirl
    Original Author
    11 years ago

olpea, I believe that peaches do best being "hot callus" grafted. I've done a small amount of grafting and my initial results were poor, but when it comes to peaches I felt I should just leave it to the experts.

If you order from Edible Landscaping let me know how it goes. Truthfully I don't have room for one more peach right now, but I am easily tempted!

Here is a link that might be useful: Hot Callus Grafting

• alan haigh
    11 years ago

I did the simplest of splice grafts of peaches this spring. Only did 4 but they all did fine. I waited until the peaches were leafed out.

• bob_z6
    11 years ago

I got a Harrow Diamond from Cummins this spring. I just checked their site and see that it is listed as being available for 2013 on Krymsk 1 rootstock.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cummins Peaches for 2013

• milehighgirl
    Original Author
    11 years ago

bob_z6, I never noticed that they had Harrow Diamond last year; they must have sold out early. I love Cummins. I just placed an order. Thanks for the tip!

But I am still very impressed with the PF-1 and I think I'll go have my breakfast in my little orchard.

• alan haigh
    11 years ago

I find earliest peaches vary a lot year to year here. In CO the weather probably consistently provides adequate heat and sun, unlike the northeast.

• milehighgirl
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I have an update now that the full crop of PF-1's is in. The fruits were hit-or-miss as far as sweetness and texture. The first few were really good, but then I got some that were tasteless and dry. It did not seem to be in relation to where the fruits were positioned on the tree, or at what time of day I picked them.

So now I am on to Earlistar and wow, I'd much rather have two Earlistars. I have ordered my Harrow Diamond from Cummins, so in time I will have a more balanced view.

• alan haigh
    11 years ago

And next you'll learn that you can't judge a tree by it's first couple of bearing seasons, although if you are like me you'll still jump to conclusions and wind up giving people some bad tips.

Olpea, I'm not still crazy about Coral Star! Mature trees don't produce peaches of the same size or quality.

• olpea
    11 years ago

I agree about the part of jumping to conclusions. I've recommended PF1 for some time. I still do because it's such an early peach, but am not as enthused as I used to be. It's still got the advantage of less disease and insect problems (probably because it's so early). I'm anxious to see if Rich May (ripens slightly earlier) will outperform in terms of flavor.

Mile high,

That's exactly what I've generally seen w/ PF1. The first picking is great, but it continues to go down hill as later fruit ripen. Earlystars are great. I don't know if you've noticed but ripe fruit on Earlystar seems to have a shorter picking window than PF1, as the fruit will get extremely soft very quick (It also has a lot of red in the flesh.)

Hman,

I still like Coralstar. It's given me nothing but superior peaches so far. In fact, I'm liking the Stellar series of peaches more and more. Picking Blazingstar right now. They are small but very rich in flavor.

• alan haigh
    11 years ago

Olpea, I still like the peach but it hasn't performed well in adverse conditions. Didn't set fruit at all this season when Harcrest and other peaches right next set decent crops. The first peaches my CS tree ever set were extraordinarily good, not just big but with a nectarine level of sugar acid balance.

• olpea
    11 years ago

Hman,

I agree. Last year Coralstar hardly set any fruits for me where everything else had full crops. This year it set a full crop but didn't require much thinning.