Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Questions about fruit tree pruning

Posted by RyanC95 7B (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 3, 14 at 15:24

I have a Persimmon Tree (Fuyu) I recently transplanted and I don't have a clue about pruning. I'm thinking about leaving the tree alone for a year or two because I think the tree is about 1-2 years old and its looking kinda wimpy for a tree right now, the picture is how my tree looks now after it got eaten by a deer like 5 weeks ago.

How should I prune the tree if I want it to maximize on fruit production while at the same time keeping it tall enough so the deer can't just eat everything/ reach it yet not so tall that I cant reach the top with a ladder (about 20 ft).

If I try to prune the tree to have a large branch and that branch I'm training is connecting to the stem about 4 feet above the ground; will it remain 4 feet from the ground it's entire life or will the branch slowly move higher as the tree grows?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Questions about fruit tree pruning

• Posted by fruitnut z7b-8a,4500ft SW TX (My Page) on
    Thu, Jul 3, 14 at 15:35

The branch won't move higher. If 4ft off ground the center of the branch will remain 4ft above ground. Branches only get longer when green and growing. Once the wood and bark harden, no more increase in length in that section.

Primary thing is keep the deer away until it's big enough to take eating lower leaves and antler scrapping. That's 4-5 yrs at least.

I won't prune now. What you do next spring is dependent on whether it's tall enough for branches above deer height, 4-5ft. You might need to straighten up that top shoot to extend the trunk. Once tall enough head back above deer height to force side branches.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here