Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
tooooo much rain

Posted by thomis 7 (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 2, 13 at 15:24

This year marks my first significant harvest for my five year old orchard. Of my 30 apple trees, 26 are fruiting.
We've received more than 10" of rain for June and raining today and forecast for the next few days. What challenges should I expect to face from this kind of excess rain?
I would think the random bitter pit problem that has showed up in my orchard may be increased.
Also, if I wanted to spray for bitter pit and sooty blotch, flyspeck, etc. could I use the same fungicide I sprayed for CAR (Rally 40 WSP)?

On the side, I grafted some scion wood to some of my dwarf trees and just got to taste my first Red Astrachan apple. It was large, big as a grapefruit and beautiful. Very tart, juicy and slightly firm, which is not typical of my other summer apples. I was so impressed, I will be planting several Red Astrachan trees on bud9 this November on my trellis.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: tooooo much rain

The rain, fog and mist seems to be the theme of this summer so far. It is too much, but is still raining on and off this week in RI. It is close to being the wettest spring and summer in history. That is a lot of rain. I use Captan.

o

I dunno--would you rather have it 109 degrees and overcast? I have had to spend 2 hours every morning and evening watering for over a week now. I'll be happy to trade our Sacramento weather for a few days of rain.
:)
Carla in Sac

o

Carla. we've had three months of this without living in the lovely countryside of England. LOL Mrs. G

o

no, I would NOT like to be watering the trees ;)
For sure.
Either feast or famine, so to speak, isn't it?

o

• Posted by fruitnut z7b-8a,4500ft SW TX (My Page) on
    Tue, Jul 2, 13 at 21:17

Carla seems to be having a bad year, sorry Carla!!!!. Loss of the cots and all I guess. But CA weather is vastly better than NE for fruit. If it rained in CA for a week right now like it is out East it would be a total disaster for the CA fruit industry.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here