Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Grape quiz

Posted by bamboo_rabbit 9A Inverness FL (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 3, 13 at 15:27

Name this grape. A hint......I am in Florida.

Can't believe how fast they grow. Planted January of 2012 as a 6 inch high airlayer. 18 months later It is now 40 feet long. I have never grown grapes before so pretty jazzed they are doing well. I have more vines on an actual trellis but the fence works too although the deer eat the leaves. Speaking of leaves there is some leaf issue going on though I need to look in to.

photo 20130703_145008_zps6e6ccc2e.jpg
 photo 20130703_145040_zpsb30f949f.jpg

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Grape quiz

muscadine

o

If the tendrils divide into two (fork) it is most likely a bunch grape, and may perish by Pierce's Disease in a few years.

If the tendrils do not divide it is near-certainly a muscadine, very few of which succumb to PD.

The University of Florida bred PD resistant bunch grapes starting (in terms of release) nearly 60 years ago. It may be one of them. Mississippi State has released a few too.

o

Gonebananas It is forked....... it is a native Florida V. shuttleworthii x Catawba. So a pierce proof bunch grape.

o

where ever did you find a hybrid like that? Are they available? It's most certainly not a muscadine

o

Flatwoods,

I know you grow this grape or one like it and sell it.......I know you have a non propagation agreement that has to be signed to buy it. I did not buy it from you, it was sent to me by a Garden web member.I have no idea where he got it from but he is a home grower also so I am sure he did not buy it from you as you have a 10 plant minimum.

Far as I know the grape is not patented.......correct?

This post was edited by bamboo_rabbit on Sat, Jul 6, 13 at 10:43

o

Do you remember that growers name or what town he is from? I keep all records of past sales; he seems to know details that not many people know.

o

Sombody is going to prison. Do not pass go. do not get $200.

o

Flatwoods,

He did not tell me any details on the grape, this one was listed as native Florida V. shuttleworthii x Catawba. I googled that and after some looking that led me to the UC Davis national grape registry which lists your name as a source of them and that the name you use for the grape is trademark pending.

I did a patent search and this grape is not patented that I can find.

I understand your concern and of course I remember who I got it from and I know he got it from his father but they are just home growers like myself.

If you can show me a patent on the variety in your name I will try to back track it for you as I always respect patents. But I do not believe the variety is patented. Is it not one of the old non patented varieties developed by the University of Florida?

If you want to discuss it further feel free to email me. I really would like more details on the vine.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here