Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pomegranates in Portland, Oregon

Posted by jrbrass none (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 17, 12 at 15:32

I am considering buying a Punica Granatum Pomegranate tree. I was told from the place I was going to buy it at, that it should grow and produce fruit in Portland, once planted.

My questions are (keep in mind where I live)...

Should I even go with a pomegranate tree? I really want pomegranates for my mom.

If so, Is it better to plant or leave it in a pot (so I can potentially move it inside/outside depending on the weather)?

Thanks,
JR

PS, I am a total noob. But googling around seems to suggest against pomegranate trees producing fruit in the NW.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pomegranates in Portland, Oregon

"Sweet" and "Eversweet" supposedly produce fruit that is sweet even when underripe (...). They do not, however, look like traditional poms, with "Eversweet" having colorless or nearly colorless (but non-staining!) juice. Also not bright red on the outside.

I haven't tasted them but some who like poms consider these insipid.

Raintree suggests both of these for "cool-summer" climates. Planting them against a south-facing wall might help ("Sweet" is supposed to be a compact plant good for containers or espalier).

Seems to me you might call Raintree and see what they recommend. You might also check around and see if anyone in your general area actually grows poms. It might be a stretch.

o

Have never seen one fruit here (Portland), but those planted out in the landscape put out a nice bloom. For possible fruit, keep yours in a pot and put it in the hottest location after bloom.

All kinds of potted citrus are sold here laden with fruit right at the retail location. Never seen the same with a pom.

What size of pomegranate would please your mom? Unlikely you will end up with the store-bought fruit look from your potted plant.

o

Thanks for your responses. larry_gene, from what I've heard it'll be harder to have fruit from a potted pome plant.

So, I was actually leaning towards planting it in the most ideal area. The lady at the shop said after a year or two, it should bear fruit. But I don't think she fully understands Portland weather.

I'm leaning towards getting a lemon potted plant. Sounds like if you bring it in during the coldest months and leave it outside for the rest, you should see some lemon fruits.

o

OneGreenWorld is Portland. Maybe give them a call.
This might be of interest:
http://www.cloudforest.com/northwest/forum/20102395.html

o

A good alternative might be dwarf pomegranate nana. Produces quality edible fruit that are smaller in size than regular poms. Fruits here in Seattle, WA, so should definitely work for you down there.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here