Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
2012 seedless grape pictures

Posted by fruitnut z7,4500ft SW TX (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 7, 12 at 15:33

Have a good crop on vines planted last year. Plants are in 12 gallon pots so I can have more control over vigor. In ground grapes in the past were too vigorous in the greenhouse.

So far only Jupiter and Summer Muscat are ripe enough to taste. Jupiter is very good but has a bit of funky taste in the skin. Summer Muscat has fabulous flavor and is supper sweet. Think I have a new favorite grape, Summer Muscat!!!

Biggest fruit are Summer Royal, Princess, and Autumn Royal.

A general shot. The plants are all in a line on 32ft of trellis.

Photobucket

Jupiter in hand and and my old favorite Summer Royal. Summer Royal has big fruit and a nice open cluster.

Photobucket

Jupiter and the large fruited yellow Princess.

Photobucket

Autumn Royal has big fruit and clusters but they are kinda tight.

Photobucket

Crimson Seedless doesn't color well and hasn't fully sized up. It matures in October and holds until January.

Photobucket

Jupiter, the yellow Summer Muscat, and red Flame.

Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 2012 seedless grape pictures

Man those look beautiful fruitnut! Beautiful.........I love table grapes.

I live in a small town with 160 wineries so you can imagine the acreage we have here with grapes, miles and miles of them.

RM

o

Neat. I'm always amazed at the way European table grapes can hold so long. Our V. lambrusca grapes, as you no doubt know, will keep maybe a week in refrigerated storage when ripe.

o

The summer ripening among these hold about a month. Then the taste usually starts going bad. Crimson seedless holds just as well on the vine in the greenhouse as in the frig. The greenhouse after Nov 1 is pretty cool as that is chill cycle.

I just ate a few more Jupiter. They'd be better to me if I spit out the skins. The skin is pretty nasty. Don't know if I'll even keep this one. Summer Muscat has vastly superior flavor for my taste and they appear to ripen about the same time.

Another thing about Jupiter is it leafed out and bloomed well before the others. That would be way too soon outside here. Muscat of Alexandria leafed out well after all the others, at least a month after Jupiter. It would be a good candidate for an outside grape. Those berries are just swelling and starting to color. I hope it tastes as good as Summer Muscat but it is seeded.

o

I am intrigued by the physical arrangement. Could we see a more distant view for some perspective?

o

steve:

Does this picture taken in spring help any?
potted grapes feb 2010

o

Wow! Thanks :-)

o

Steve:

I love the grapes overhead. So do most that visit. They can take the heat up high. I'm sure it's over 100F that high every day on the warm end of the greenhouse.

o

WOW fruitnut , from what I have read grapes don't do well in pots cus of a deep tap root , How big are those pots? I can get all the cattle lick tubs ( 30 gal) I want for free .

o

The grapes look gorgeous.....

o

Berry Bob:

Those 30 gal cattle lick tubs are twice the size of mine and deeper. My buddy has all his grapes in them. The media depth in mine is no more than 12-13 inches.

Grapes don't have a tap root, at least not those started from cuttings. So that covers all but a wild seedling. And even if they did it won't affect results in a pot. Roots are roots they just need to take up water and nutrients.

I've grown a few things in the 30 gal tubs and they've done great. You need a well draining mix in any pot. Get that and grapes will grow great in tubs or smaller pots.

o

ok Thanks

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here