Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Roger Meyer Jujube Lecture

Posted by tonytran 5a Omaha, NE (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 15, 13 at 15:33

Good infos if you are interested in growing Jujube.

Tony

Here is a link that might be useful: Roger Meyer Jujube Lecture

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Roger Meyer Jujube Lecture

Tony, just looked up this fruit which I have never grown, let alone eaten. Do you cook them, or dry them? Are they as sweet as dates and what makes them worth growing? Thanks, Mrs. G

o

Mrs, G.

They can be eat out of hand, dry, or cook. Lang is a drying variety. Good eating variety are Li, Honey Jar, Sugarcane, and GA-866. They taste very sweet and crunchy and date like when dry. Scott can fill in with more Infos.

Tony

o

Can you store them in jars for winter? thanks, this fruit is intriguing.

o

ga 866 has production issues up north, might wanna skip this one

o

• Posted by bob_z6 6b/7a SW CT (My Page) on
    Tue, Jul 16, 13 at 0:02

That's a very interesting video. I'm about half way through and noticed something which may be of interest to Fruitnut. Roger mentioned (around the 25 minute mark) that if the tree doesn't have enough water, the fruit size is very tiny. Further, the first thing the tree does when under pressure is steal the water from the fruit, which makes it mushy and ruins the quality. It sounds a lot like the experience FN described last year with his first crop of Jujube.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here