Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
triazicide caution - bottle label

Posted by mes111 6 (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 15, 13 at 15:36

CAREFUL!!!!! - READ THE LABEL !!!!

This past weekend I ran out and needed some more ... neither Home Depot nor Lowe's had it so I went to the local Walmart.

I found that the 32 oz. bottle comes in 2 different shapes AND strengths. SEE PHOTOS.

One is .25% and the other is .08% strength .

Both say "Once and Done".
The .08% bottle is shiny plastic with the spout in the middle.
The .25% bottle is dull plastic with the spout is to the side.

AND I found BOTH VARIETIES next to each other at WALMART and they were both the same price.

THE PROBLEM I SEE is that if one was using .08% and does not read the bottle and mixes the stuff from the new bottle at the same rate as from the empty then one would be dosing at triple the strength without realizing it.

Mike

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: triazicide caution - bottle label

more

o

08 strength

o

25 strength

o

My bottle from a few years ago shows .08... i wonder if they didn't up the chemical because it was too weak to do anything?

o

The mixing instructions on the bottle ARE ADJUSTED for the different strength. The instructions do advise three times as much per gallon on the weaker version.

My caution was to be careful not to go on autopilot when mixing. If I had both bottles on my shelf and ran out I might pick up the nest bottle and mix at the same rate I used on the previous. I would either wind up with a too weak solution which is worthless or one that or one that was too strong and could be dangerous.

On other threads here some people were complaining that TRIAZICIDE was not working. Theories ran from "stale" to to "heat" damaged product. Maybe some of the people who were reporting poor results were mixing the .08% as if it was .25% and getting too weak a solution

Mike

o

The .25% bottle appears to me to be the older version. When they cut the product back to .08% it didn't work as well for a lot of people. I am talking about the people who read the label and mix correctly. Still not gonna be enough product. Imagine selling orange juice with .08% orange juice. That would be less than 1/10th of 1 percent orange juice. What is in the 99.92 percent of other stuff. Is it to extend shelf life? Is it a harmless carrier or can it hurt the applicator? Trade secret?

o

I'm one of the people who complained about its ineffectiveness, and I was using the .08 version at the recommended strength. iirc this is the only version I've used, as the directions have always been the same.

btw, if you look really really closely at the label of the .08 version, you can see where it says "concentrate" it's "concentrate 2"

o

Isn't mixing 3 oz. .08% per gallon the same as 1oz. of the .25% per gallon the same?

Mike

o

It costs virtually the same for less product So there is less of the product in the same size container for virtually the same price. If the product degrades, you have even less product to work with. Your mixing ratio is fine. We gardeners are watching our list of effective products get watered down, eliminated, and replaced to the point of ineffectiveness.

o

I have both bottles at my orchard. I will be there agaon this weekend and I will look to see if there are any manufacturing dates.

BUT....I saw both bottles on the Walmart shelf at the same time( I boight the .25%, both were $7.98 ). It seems unlikely that this is a mixture of old and new stock.

Mike

o

Itilton

Didn't mean to imply that you werent following directions. Just that if one got used to mixing from a .25 and then. Did not realize that the next bottle was .08 it might result in inneffectivess. I would not have thought to look but for the fact that the bottles were next to each other on the shelf.

Mike

o

Mike - I'm sure you're quite right.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here