Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Orlando Disney's World Greenhouse Orchard and Plants

Posted by tonytran 5 Omaha, NE. (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 15, 12 at 15:40

Hi all,

I took the family to Disney's World for a couple of weeks and here are some amazing indoor research facility (called The Land) and planting of fruit trees, vegetables, and hybrids like 9 lbs lime, 20 feet vine cherry tomato climbing on suspended rope, vegetables growing suspended in mid air with roots hanging and water by drips system. The ones on the ground are growing in white beach sands. I am not sure if any dirt underneath the sands. I did ask for some seeds to pass on to you all but they say no. LOL.

Tony

Giant Sweet yam hung in the air.

9 lbs Lime

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Orlando Disney's World Greenhouse Orchard and Plants

• Posted by skyjs z8 OR, USA (My Page) on
    Sun, Jul 15, 12 at 19:47

Cool place and pictures. Thanks for sharing them.
John S
PDX OR

o

That's my favorite part of Disney!!

o

3 yrs ago I got a indoor tour of the place for $30. It is worth it. They let you sample the fruits.

o

Tony, amazing place, great pictures, wish I could be there to see it.

On the downside, I believe that the nutritional value of anything grown here is far below that of any fruits or vegetables grown in good soil.

o

I disagree on the nutritional value, synthetically fed plants can be just as nutritious as long as they are given all the macros and the micros... The stuff in our grocery stores is less nutritious because it has usually been shipped across the country and the nutritional value has degraded in the process... But if it were harvested and eaten rather quickly like the stuff in our backyard gardens, I feel that the nutritional value of hydroponics would be about the same. The shipping is the problem...

o

Benny,

I wish I could have something like that place so I can grow plants and trees all year around. I hope you get to it someday. All the five parks are wonderful.

Tony

o

Tony, is it just vegetables and samll fruit, or can they hang a small tree upside down from a feeder pipe and get fruit? Maybe next time you go there will be a 20' persimmon hanging from the ceiling that hits you in the head as you walk by.

benny

o

Benny,

Most of the fruit trees were in the ground. But the Yam and the Brussel Sprouts were hung with root balls exposed to the air (not up side down) and they had a drips line or a mist system to keep the roots moist. Very interesting!! In one area they had giant tilapia fish tank with about 100 fish and a big tray of vegetables floating on top and the roots in the water. I guess the vegetables get the nutrients from the fish fecal materials and also help to clean the water at the same. Pretty cool.

Tony

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here