Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Reviving Grape Vine-uprooted and left in sun for 2 days

Posted by emberemme 5B (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 21, 14 at 15:51

Hello!

My dad planted 2 grapevines in our yard 3+ years ago. Neither of them have ever produced fruit. Recently, he uprooted one and left it in the sun for a little under 48 hours. He told me that it's a decorational grapevine and will not produce fruit.

This morning I woke up and found the vine and did a scratch test to make sure it was still alive (it was). I then trimmed the vine back so that only the three main branches (one of which seems to be dead and I am debating cutting off) and the roots were left. Right now the roots are soaking in a metal vase, and I was planning to leave the plant in the vase until tomorrow.

After making this post, I plan to go and save cuttings of the main vine in case this one doesn't survive. I am planning on keeping this vine indoors, in my bedroom. I would like to train it up a wall, but I will make a separate post for that-right now my main focus is making sure this plant survives.

I am unable to provide any information on what kind of grapevine this is, as it was planted so long ago that I do not remember, and the leaves were all withered from being left out in the sun.

What I would like to know is what steps to take to keep this vine alive. I've been doing research, but the information I'm finding is scattered and varied.

Thank you for your time and help!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Reviving Grape Vine-uprooted and left in sun for 2 days

• Posted by fruitnut z7b-8a,4500ft SW TX (My Page) on
    Mon, Jul 21, 14 at 19:03

Grapes aren't an indoor plant. I don't think it will survive very long in your bedroom even if it survives being uprooted.

After soaking for 12-24 hrs plant it in a well draining mix. It might make a comeback.

o

Thank you! In that case, I will care for it as long as possible inside and then offer it to a friend. To be honest, I was hoping it would be possible to have a sort of "living wall" using the grapevine. My room faces the sunrise, so the plant would receive light in the morning, and artificial light once the morning light becomes weak.

Any specific reasons why you don't think it would survive indoors?

o

• Posted by fruitnut z7b-8a,4500ft SW TX (My Page) on
    Tue, Jul 22, 14 at 9:31

Grapes are a full sun plant. They love heat and light. I'd think they'd have weak leggy growth indoors. And while they don't need much chilling in winter they will do better with a winter dormant period. Won't get that indoors.

o

• Posted by myk1 5 IL (My Page) on
    Wed, Jul 23, 14 at 13:37

Decorative grapes are sold. I would make sure the friend knows that's what it is.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here