Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Fruit Tree Spraying Question

Posted by awesometastic1 none (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 24, 12 at 15:55

So I'm a complete nube that planted a variety of fruit trees in my back yard this spring (all 3-5 years old, bare-root) and they were all doing fantastic, but I recently started seeing some issues with the leaves on my apple and pear trees with the leaves curling and eventually turning yellow/black and falling off and what not.

In the beginning, I thought it was just from them being over watered (it literally rained for about 1 1/2 months straight, nearly every day here randomly and despite it being May and June it was quite cold out; Western Washington this year had weird weather). I noticed a lot of trees in my area seemed not able to decide weather it was fall or spring/summer. But once the leaves started turning black, despite it being ridiculously sunny most of July, I figured there must be some other problem. So I went down to the store and bought a general purpose all-in-one fruit tree spray.

So here's my stupid question. On the instructions it says "spray in 7-14 day schedule until the problem disappears". So am I to read that as "spray once a day for 7-14 days until the problem disappears" or "spray once every 7-14 days until the problem disappears"?

Right now I've kind of gone with the half way between the two approach, spraying the trees three times in two weeks, which I figured was OK, because in the middle it rained really hard for a few days, presumably washing away the spray on the leaves. I have seen some good results too from spraying so far. But now that it's back to being sunny, I figured I should ask here before accidentally damaging my trees from over spraying or under-spraying them and allowing the disease or insect or whatever to continue to harm them.

Also any other spraying or other tips for fruit trees would be much appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Fruit Tree Spraying Question

Do NOT spray once a day!

The instructions mean to spray every 7-14 days. But don't do that, either. The stuff in that all-in-one spray may not address your problem and may cause additional problems.

First, find out what's really wrong.

o
RE: Fruit Tree Spraying Question

Ok here's a gallery of the leaves on three apples and one pear: http://imgur.com/a/0SPXv (click on the pics to zoom in closer)

The trees seem to be doing overall much better since I sprayed them (before they had many black leaves that have now fallen off and most of the new and remaining leaves are showing less and less sign of a problem).

But anyways, any idea what's actually causing the problem?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here