Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Damson Plums

Posted by hermiona76 GA (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 12, 14 at 15:59

Hi everyone,
Does anyone knows where can I get some damson plums in Georgia? I'm not looking for a tree, but for actual fruit. Want to make some jam, but I can't find this type of plums anywhere. I live about 25 miles north of Atlanta, does anyone knows someone around this area that ma be growing this type of plum? Help would be very much appreciated!! Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Damson Plums

Plums are hard to grow there and Damsons are pretty uncommon anywhere so I doubt there are any you could find in your area. I would look for any plum, you will still get some great jam if you can find ripe plums.

Scott

o

Good luck finding fresh Damson plums for sale. I read an article last year about a couple who started a business making and selling Damson gin. It took off so well they had to go out and secure feedstock for their enterprise. They shopped farmers markets all over the place to find folks who could supply them with fresh Damsons and then contracted them. They claimed it was the most difficult aspect of starting their business...finding a source for the plums. I think they are more common in the U.K., and used to be very common in the USA years ago.
I have a Damson plum tree and I love them, I'll be picking them soon, but I'm keeping them. It's my largest, most healthy and trouble free fruit tree I've ever had.

o

Damson plums southern limit is about Z7, so I'd be very surprised if you found them in Georgia.

o

Wow, didn't think it would be that difficult to find them......I'm from Europe and damsons are very common, so I thought I would get a taste of home by making some damson plum jam; it doesn't quite look like its going to happen 😊 Thanks everyone for your help!

o

You try Willis nursery in Cartersville Ga. they in Bartow county I-75 north you, they may no about large planting in area. A lot grower grow green plums around atlanta. The farmer market good place to look and talk about what looking for.

o

Adams nursery sells or used to sell Damson trees, so they may know of the nearest grower. I grow them in southern NY and there are a few commercial growers that do the same upstate here. I wonder if they can't be grown in higher elevations as far south as Georgia as they are easy here, even on our hottest summers.

If you are in NY in Sept. I can maybe set you up with some. They do make the best preserves of any plum I've tried for the purpose, but it only becomes clear with a side by side comparison.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here