Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Japanese Beetles and PHI

Posted by ltilton 5 (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 16, 13 at 16:00

It's harvest season for my plums starting now, and of course there are JBs on the trees, plums being one of their favorite targets. And every effective insecticide seems to have a PHI of at least 7 days.

I can see that the effectiveness of my earlier spray is wearing off.

What do people do, who grow plums in JB territory?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Japanese Beetles and PHI

I think Sevin has a PHI of about 1 day for fruits and vegies.

I just wait until after harvest because they usually don't go after older leaves so trees can wait a bit. Your situation might be different, of course.

o
RE: Japanese Beetles and PHI

JBs seem to have extremely varying habits. I've seen them excavating holes on the ripe plums. If they'd stick to the leaves in reasonable amounts, that'd be different. They prefer the highest leaves that I'm going to prune away soon.

Sevin, I have read, would need to reapplied every 3 days or so to be really effective.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here