Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Is this a Serviceberry?

Posted by canadianplant (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 27, 13 at 16:09

There is a tree I always assumed was a pin cherry down the street from me. About 15 or 20 feet tall, light grey bark with nice white flowers in spring. IT has a very interesting shape. I took a picture with my phone the other day so I can post it here to ask what kind of cherry it was.

Anyways, i get a good look at the picture blown up on my computer. The fruits are definitely not cherry at all. They in my eyes are sask. berries. I know A altinofilia is a varied species in the truest sense and there are some native amalancier species here, but I am guessing it is A Canadiensis. Can anyone confirm based on this picture? I can take more easily.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is this a Serviceberry?

Yup. Amelanchier C or something in that genus. Eat them

o

The tree is pretty big and old. Im going to take some cuttings and ome fruit for seed. Im starting to love this species.

o

The one we have is tall and limber. I use the pole pruners to ease the tops down. I then hold it down and my kids and i go nuts over them. The one we have starts off with a rosey perfumeyness and the darker berries taste like a malay apple. I love them

o

I have not had the pleasure of tasting the berries yet. I do have 3 plants in my garden (Smokey and regent), both altinofolia. Smokey is supposed to be the best for commercial growing. I wont eat the berries there, because its right beside one of the busiest streets in town.

I cant want to see it flower so i have a better idea.

o

I have theta, jefferson and Yamhill. Yamhill is the most vigorous I have and love the same soil/light as my honeyberries. Full Am sun till 12, sun again at 3pm on.

o

oops, my mistake with hazelnuts...nevermind

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here