Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mrsg47

Abate Fetel Pears

mrsg47
10 years ago

This pear looks magnifcent. How long before it fruits? I do have a multi-grafted pear that has Bartlett on it for a pollinizer. My Abate Fetel would go right next to it. Is there any such thing as precocity in European pears? Thanks Mrs. G PS will it grow well in my zone and taste good? Thanks again

Comments (17)

• Noogy
    10 years ago

Hi! For precocity, Harrow sweet, Tennesee. My Tennesseee has
    pears @ 3rd yr., 8-9' tall. My Harrow sweet 2ndyr, I pruned all pears off of my HS, since they are only 3-4' tall. I got 10 HS last year from cummins and they sold me small, 2' ones. That was the only size available, and cost less. I've pushed them with Nitrogen, kelp, mulching and drip irrigation, so maybe next year I'll keep a couple.

• mrsg47
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Noogs, I really like the long strange shape of the French pear. I take it they are slow to fruit, My combo Euro pear (five varieties is thriving.) It is now over six feet tall and just went in a year ago. The seckel bloomed the first year (dropped all flowers and buds) only the bartlett flowered this spring and all of the flower clusters fell off. Do not know what to expect from the tree next year. I am the only one I know here that really likes pears so I just want one more tree. Mrs. G

• Noogy
    10 years ago

I have about 20 Tennessee's, and 12 bartlett pears in progress, so I know what waiting is all about! And Corvallis' site doesn't break down varieties for precocity. I thought concorde or the other long one...conference, though british is precocious, i think.

• mrsg47
    Original Author
    10 years ago

My first choice is Concorde, but I can't find them for sale here. Ugh.

• Noogy
    10 years ago

I thought raintree had them on sale this year.

• mrsg47
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Noogs, I'll check this fall. :)

• maryhawkins99
    10 years ago

Noogy, where did you get your Tennessee's?

I'd try Abate fetel here; I believe someone is Austin grew them; but I'm just not sure about its fireblight resistance.

• Noogy
    10 years ago

I got them @ raintree. I'll have wood in feb. E-mail me and I'll send you some

• mrsg47
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Noogs! :)

• mrsg47
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Noogy was reading about heirloom pears and pears in general. It seems we are losing a lot of old, 'heirloom' varieties. Is this why you collect them? We need more pear collectors! Mrs. G

• Noogy
    10 years ago

I'm just trialing varieties to find out what does best here. After the collapse of the pear industry in Mi due to FB in a GOOD FRUIT Grower edition and I thought it a plain shame. There are also better cultural approaches and am trying them out. Scottsmith has some that I'd like too. It's important to safeguard the gifts we receive from nature as things might change in the future.And its fun.

• mrsg47
    Original Author
    10 years ago

No kidding. The pear is so appreciated in France and Italy. It is a sweeter treat than plums or figs. I know our apple industry took over as the first place winner of fruits, but they threw it over for the 'Queen or King of Fruits', the pear. Too bad.

• bob_z6
    10 years ago

I'm not sure if you have Abate Fetel pears in stores near you, but I've gotten them several times at Whole Foods (usually grown in South America). I've found them pretty middle-of-the-road- not bad, but nothing all that impressive. The pear I've liked the most is Concorde, followed by Bosc, Taylor's Gold, and Comice. From what I understand, all 4 are pretty susceptible to fireblight. In fact, it was an article from GoodFruitGrower which kept me from getting a Concorde. Last year, they were available at Grandpa's Orchard on OHxF 87 or 97 (I don't recall which).

• mrsg47
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Bob. Paying attention to fireblight is important and something I really do not want to introduce into my orchard. We do not have any fancy 'special' fruit in our produce departments in Newport, RI. We have to go to Mass. to buy specialty items, or drive closer to Providence. That may sound surprising given the tourists and popularity of the city during the summer. I have had no way of trying any of these pears, and that goes for all of the fruit I am currently growing. (Except when traveling). I have a Comice. Perhaps a bosc is the closest I can get to an elongated pear without much danger of fireblight. thank you so much! Mrs. G

• maryhawkins99
    10 years ago

I bought one at Whole Foods this morning. It's pretty good. I'd grow it if I wasn't afraid of fireblight.

• glib
    10 years ago

It is a hard pear, very sweet, but texture is mediocre. Nothing special compared to any comice pear.

• domani_domain
    8 years ago

Please tell me where I can find a Abate Fetel Pear Tree here in the US to grow.
    email domani.domain@gmail.com