Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Abate Fetel Pears

Posted by MrsG47 7 RI (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 1, 13 at 16:10

This pear looks magnifcent. How long before it fruits? I do have a multi-grafted pear that has Bartlett on it for a pollinizer. My Abate Fetel would go right next to it. Is there any such thing as precocity in European pears? Thanks Mrs. G PS will it grow well in my zone and taste good? Thanks again

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Abate Fetel Pears

Hi! For precocity, Harrow sweet, Tennesee. My Tennesseee has
pears @ 3rd yr., 8-9' tall. My Harrow sweet 2ndyr, I pruned all pears off of my HS, since they are only 3-4' tall. I got 10 HS last year from cummins and they sold me small, 2' ones. That was the only size available, and cost less. I've pushed them with Nitrogen, kelp, mulching and drip irrigation, so maybe next year I'll keep a couple.

o

Noogs, I really like the long strange shape of the French pear. I take it they are slow to fruit, My combo Euro pear (five varieties is thriving.) It is now over six feet tall and just went in a year ago. The seckel bloomed the first year (dropped all flowers and buds) only the bartlett flowered this spring and all of the flower clusters fell off. Do not know what to expect from the tree next year. I am the only one I know here that really likes pears so I just want one more tree. Mrs. G

o

I have about 20 Tennessee's, and 12 bartlett pears in progress, so I know what waiting is all about! And Corvallis' site doesn't break down varieties for precocity. I thought concorde or the other long one...conference, though british is precocious, i think.

o

My first choice is Concorde, but I can't find them for sale here. Ugh.

o

I thought raintree had them on sale this year.

o

Thanks Noogs, I'll check this fall. :)

o

Noogy, where did you get your Tennessee's?

I'd try Abate fetel here; I believe someone is Austin grew them; but I'm just not sure about its fireblight resistance.

o

I got them @ raintree. I'll have wood in feb. E-mail me and I'll send you some

o

Thanks Noogs! :)

o

Noogy was reading about heirloom pears and pears in general. It seems we are losing a lot of old, 'heirloom' varieties. Is this why you collect them? We need more pear collectors! Mrs. G

o

I'm just trialing varieties to find out what does best here. After the collapse of the pear industry in Mi due to FB in a GOOD FRUIT Grower edition and I thought it a plain shame. There are also better cultural approaches and am trying them out. Scottsmith has some that I'd like too. It's important to safeguard the gifts we receive from nature as things might change in the future.And its fun.

o

No kidding. The pear is so appreciated in France and Italy. It is a sweeter treat than plums or figs. I know our apple industry took over as the first place winner of fruits, but they threw it over for the 'Queen or King of Fruits', the pear. Too bad.

o

• Posted by bob_z6 6b/7a SW CT (My Page) on
    Thu, Jul 4, 13 at 12:03

I'm not sure if you have Abate Fetel pears in stores near you, but I've gotten them several times at Whole Foods (usually grown in South America). I've found them pretty middle-of-the-road- not bad, but nothing all that impressive. The pear I've liked the most is Concorde, followed by Bosc, Taylor's Gold, and Comice. From what I understand, all 4 are pretty susceptible to fireblight. In fact, it was an article from GoodFruitGrower which kept me from getting a Concorde. Last year, they were available at Grandpa's Orchard on OHxF 87 or 97 (I don't recall which).

o

Thanks Bob. Paying attention to fireblight is important and something I really do not want to introduce into my orchard. We do not have any fancy 'special' fruit in our produce departments in Newport, RI. We have to go to Mass. to buy specialty items, or drive closer to Providence. That may sound surprising given the tourists and popularity of the city during the summer. I have had no way of trying any of these pears, and that goes for all of the fruit I am currently growing. (Except when traveling). I have a Comice. Perhaps a bosc is the closest I can get to an elongated pear without much danger of fireblight. thank you so much! Mrs. G

o

I bought one at Whole Foods this morning. It's pretty good. I'd grow it if I wasn't afraid of fireblight.

o

• Posted by glib 5.5 (My Page) on
    Thu, Jul 4, 13 at 15:31

It is a hard pear, very sweet, but texture is mediocre. Nothing special compared to any comice pear.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here