Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Half shriveled plums

Posted by bart1 6/7 Northern VA (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 13, 12 at 16:13

The pictures below show 3 views of the same Superior plum. I did some harvesting last night and found a bunch that were split (which I blame on recent heavy rains) but there were a bunch more that seemed to be shriveled up on one side. The shriveled section is hard not soft and the other side of the plum looks fine.

Any idea what happened?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Half shriveled plums

• Posted by bart1 6/7 Northern VA (My Page) on
    Fri, Jul 13, 12 at 16:14

Here's #2

o

Fri, Jul 13, 12 at 16:15

Here's #3

o

Looks like pC damaged plum. I had one just like that...big larvae crawling around inside...

o

Bart I'm in northern VA, trying to play around with a bunch of different plum varieties this spring. Do you think you'd have a Shiro or Superior plum to spare for taste testing this year? I'm planning to go up to Scott's but he lost his superiors this year to the storm and its also 90 minutes with traffic. I wasn't able to send you a PM but you can email me at pipergates67 [at] hotmail [dot] com.

o

Sat, Jul 14, 12 at 12:04

Sure thing Persian!

I have both Shiro and Superior.

I'll send you an email.

o

Bart, that kind of damage can be caused by stinkbugs. They prefer other fruits to plums but I occasionally see them on my plums.

Scott

o

Mon, Jul 16, 12 at 9:12

Interesting Scott. I have stinkbugs on my plums, but I've only seen them eating along the cracks (from expansion due to rain). That doesn't mean that they're not doing the damage though!

I did find a half shriveled plum yesterday that was in a cloth bag which further confuses the issue.

This is the first time I've seen this problem and it's only on my Superiors, not the Shiros right next door.

o

I was noticing a few of my Satsumas have similar damage, and that was the one plum tree I saw stinkbugs on. I meant to cut one of them open to check for a curc but didn't.

Scott

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here