Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Yellowing leaves on my apricot tree

Posted by tomatohyjinks 8 (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 1, 12 at 16:34

What's wrong with my apricot tree? this was transplanted about 4 months ago and has been doing fine until now. the weather is hot, 100-105 degrees. The soil around the tree is moist from this morning's watering. I increased the watering time on my sprinkler system recently to try and save my grass, could I be drowning my apricot tree? Or is this a sign of some other kind of stress/problem?

HELP!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Yellowing leaves on my apricot tree

That's probably heat/drought stress. If your grass is turning brown, that may mean your tree isn't getting enough water. A newly planted tree doesn't compete well with grass, weeds, or nearby big trees. They suck the water right out from under your tree.

o

Thank you, I think you may be correct. my grass is really struggling as well, but the grass directly next to the tree is green and healthy. There's about 2 ft of mulch around the trunk of the tree between it and the grass. the rest of my lawn is brown. I dug a small hole on the edge of the mulch by the grass an the ground is dry, dry, dry. Will the tree produce leaves again if these ones drop?

o

Some of mine look like that and I expect them to be OK. These are trees recently moved from the greenhouse to the outdoors. Your tree will grow more, put on more leaves, if conditions warrant. More water should help. But not more every day. A good soaking once or twice a week, to supplement lawn water, would help most.

o

Thanks guys, I have a lot invested in this tree and want to do everything I can to help it. I've attached another pic of the leaves on the tree. I'll and another layer of mulch and make sure it gets a good soaking more often.

o

I could post a picture of mine but it would look just like yours. Good luck!!

o

I agree with everything said. A tree well watered will resist the sunburn you are seeing, much better. Your tree will be OK. Al

o

Thanks guys, I really appreciate it. It's so darn difficult to find any relevant information on generic websites and search engines!

would some kind of foliage spray help at this point, or do I just leave it along and try not to kill it with kindness? it was fertilized with 13-7-7 solution in May.

o

Water is all it needs right now. Fertilize this fall or next spring if you aren't getting enough growth. If it's growing enough, just water.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here