Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How to save grapes from bursting on vines?

Posted by homey_bird 9/SS 16 (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 26, 12 at 16:36

Hi,

I am a newbie to grapevines. I've had grapevines for a few years now, although this year is the first time my Flame Seedless has been fruiting.

I am awaiting grape harvest, while the grapes on my vine change color from green to purple/red, however, I also find that a lot of them in the cluster burst (possibly due to heat) and shrivel up.

I would eat them as raisins if it came to that, but I am still interested in eating juicy grapes if I can! Is this a common issue and what can be done to save those grapes?

Also while on this topic, I see grapes ripening unevenly. Some are ready and ripe while some are still very much green. Again, is this normal? When I look at commercial vineyards, I see that all grapes look same size....is there a secret to this?

A disclosure I owe is that I have not pruned my vines last year (I know how to and that I should but last year could not do so due to some life events happening during that time).

Thanks in advance!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How to save grapes from bursting on vines?

A number of fruits will split if water gets on the fruit when ripening. Is this the case with your grapes?

o

It could be; although I have watered the vine very sparingly. This would be one aspect I would be more careful about the next time I water them.

I also read up on eHow that underwatering is a cause too. If so, then what is the proper watering schedule? I do not see my vines stressed without water, in fact they've been growing like crazy (vegetative growth) while growing fruits.
Also, for good flavor, I thought it's better to not water them abundantly.

o

Powdery mildew causes grapes to split also.

o

Water the ground only regardless of schedule. Repeated wetting/drying of foliage/fruit can promote mildew.

Do the commercial vineyards use overhead watering?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here