Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Berry confused

Posted by ehooper2002 none (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 2, 12 at 16:40

Any thoughts on what these are? We have tons of rasberries growing, some around these berry's too. We also have blackberries growing but they are still green and on the other side of the yard. My first thought was that they were a blackberry, but if you look at the stem, it has the stem/top of a rasberry but what looks to be the body of a blackberry. We just recently moved into this house and have been loving the rasberries but I am confused on this berry. Any help would be appreciated! Thank you!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Berry confused

Well, technically, it's neither a raspberry nor a blackberry, it is one of the various species of dewberries found in N. America.

By convention as much as anything, I think people have adopted the term dewberry for the prostrate, vining plants, smaller in stature than blackberries. Some can be very thorny, some not so thorny. Most people consider them a weed, because they can spread pretty aggressively.

Functionally, the fruit is a blackberry, same basic flavor. They are small, but do make good preserves, etc. You can get somewhat better fruit size out of them by fertilizing and watering during the growing season, but yield will always be pretty low on a square foot basis as compared to cultivated and improved strains of blackberries.

Here is a link that might be useful: Dewberries explained via Wikipedia.

o
RE: Berry confused

The fruit above does not look anything like western native dewberries. What region do you live in, ehooper?

Your plants could also be some seedling berry plant that started growing many years ago, sprouted from one of the nearby berry plants.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here