Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
glenn_russell_gw

Dwarf Empress Peach ripening date.

glenn_russell
14 years ago

Hi Everyone-

I'm trying to come up with a ripening date for my dwarf Empress peach bush. I'd like to know this because I'm applying Monterey Fungi Fighter (Orbit) to prevent Brown Rot, and there is 21 day PHI. Normally with apples, I can find a relative date, and then compare that to my local orchard to come up with an approximate date. But, I really haven't found a good one in this case. Anyone care to venture a guess?

Really, I think the squirrels are going to get 'em anyway. Unless they find them by sight (they're pretty well hidden by the leaves). But, I suspect they'll find 'em by smell. I haven't yet thought of a good way to protect this bush.

Below is a listing of other peach ripening dates from my local orchard. Thanks,

-Glenn

{{gwi:120861}}

{{gwi:120862}}

{{gwi:120863}}

Comments (8)

• ottawan_z5a
    8 years ago

I am interested in getting one from Whiffletree farm for my Zone 5a location. I read that Empress Peach is the earliest ripening one in the dwarf varieties, about September (which is not early in my opinion).

What is your experience of the ripening date and maintenance requirement or other pros and cons.

• glenn_russell
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Hi Ottawan-

I've been mostly inactive on GW these days as my yard was pretty much on autopilot... though now I've moved and it's time to start again. But, I got a notification about your post and I can now answer my own question above! Here in RI, based on my pics, harvest time for the dwarf empress peach is Sept 1st - 15th ish. My plant got to be about 5'6' high and at least as wide. I had it up against the house where it got good reflection off the grey paint. Combined with great soil (9" loam over sandy gravel), my dwarf empress was very happy. Thinning took quite a bit of time as like to attempt 10x as many peaches as I thought it could handle. I did get some brown rot and leaf curl because I really never set up a spray schedule for just this bush. I'm not a peach connoisseur but... clinging fruit was tasty, and I always looked forward to the spring flowers. I believe I will plant a new one here at the house.

• rphcfb14
    8 years ago

Glenn,

glad you are back. Most old timers have moved to a new forum Scott Smith created for fruit growers only. I cannot give you the name of the site as the moderator here will remove it.

just google Scott Smith plus growing fruit, it will lead you to the new site.

you may recognize quite a few people their inculding Mrs. G. , your fellow RHode Islander.

• glenn_russell
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Found it. Thanks rphcfb14! I actually met Mrs. G once and gave her an extra Liberty apple that I had! Perhaps in the spring when I start planting, I'll become more active again. Thanks again! -Glenn

• ottawan_z5a
    8 years ago

Thanks Glen for your response.

You mentioned peach leaves curl. I have already lost two peach trees to it. I may need to do a spray programme to avoid more problems in the future.

• glenn_russell
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I do spray the older Kocide 3000 copper on it, when I spray my apples... so I don't get much leaf curl on it. Just a few leaves. I think if I did spray the Monterey fungi fighter also, that would do the trick. But, I'm often too lazy to spray just this one bush. Good luck!

• eastmeetwest
    8 years ago

Copper Spray before bud break is good. Some use Chlorothalonil spray (like Daconil). Both are effective.

Some may say lime-sulfur spray but it's not as effective if you get PLC badly.

• yovan mcgregor
    5 years ago

I use lime-sulfur spray every spring time and i never got leaf curl although leaf curl disease is very prevalent in my area, 15 feet away my neighbours peaches got it very bad, so i do believe that limesulphur combo does help

Sponsored
Snider & Metcalf Interior Design, LTD
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Leading Interior Designers in Columbus, Ohio & Ponte Vedra, Florida