Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
leaf curling aphids on plum - really want to avoid this again

Posted by campanula UK Cambridge (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 24, 12 at 16:50

I have been having a torrid time with my fruit trees this year (weird awful weather, loads of viruses about on my allotment). Apart from the dread peach leaf curl (finally given up but there are compensations such as being finally able to add an almond without cross pollination being an issue), one of my plums were attacked with some nasty beastie which has caused the leaves to shrivel and curl. Although still green(ish), they have looked a sight all summer and I cannot see that this is much good for the long-term health of the plum. I really want to avoid this next year but would be prepared to explore any wacky suggestions before running straight for the insecticides. Of course, I will be pragmatic, to save the tree - and the crop, which was also a bit poor this year, although it is still a young tree.
By the way, a couple of months ago, my little dwarf peach tree literally snapped at the graft union, leaving only a sliver of cambium. Swift intervention and the very good advice on this forum means the tree is thriving, despite the emergency broom handle rammed up its middle.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: leaf curling aphids on plum - really want to avoid this again

Apids hate liq. dish soap. Use only the cheap stuff(no dawn!- no degreaser)1 tsp per gal. of water in a sprayer,not in hot direct sun-try spraying very early morning
Start spraying every 7 days at leaf break. Apids preproduce every 7 days. The soap will kill them, works for roses too. Once you have killed the cycle you can hose off the leaves and they will be clean and pretty. Hope this helps- Arizona PS don't spray the bees

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here