Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
blueberries leaf issue - red tinged

Posted by nightrun86 Oregon (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 17, 13 at 16:51

fellow gardenwebbers!

i need your help! i have no idea what to do about my poor blueberries. they're struggling to keep going on, and i cannot tell if this is due to mites, hot summers (90°f+), pH or what.

i've read that ideal soil pH for blueberries is acidic, between 4.5-5.5 is ideal. i've been taking readings and some places get down to 5.8, but most are ~7.0 (my meter is an electronic tester).

to correct this, i've used aluminum sulphate to drop the ph -- supposedly it could take a week to see the change in the surrounding affected soil. i water these blueberries once a night, or every other night. i've applied alaska fish fertilizer to them approximately 4 weeks ago and have observed very little change.

tldr: what does this leaf discoloration tell you folks?

lastly -- my appologies for not being able to zoom in further on leaf discoloration, using smartphone cam digital zoom loses detail.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: blueberries leaf issue - red tinged

They look fried.....too dry or too much fertilizer. First thing is keep them moist always....an hour dry is an hour too much. Second stop putting crap on them. Third STOP PUTTING CRAP ON THEM. :)

If the PH is off that will show up overtime but it won't kill them quickly and is easy to reverse. Trying to fix them by adding more and more chemicals will kill them quickly. First thing is water them very very well to try to flush them out. Second throw away that aluminum sulfate and slap whoever told you to use it.

What did you use to amend the soil? What is your soil like? When did you plant them? If it was recently that is part of the problem as well. Summer is just not the right time to put them in the ground.

o

soil ammendment:
http://www.greenplanetnaturals.com/acidic-planting-mix.html

planted: early march (they were completely healthy then)

i'll water twice daily in the peak of summer i suppose, even though i watered last nite the soil was pretty dry today. i was afraid to keep them too moist as supposedly root rot is another issue to watch out for.

no more aluminum sulphate, rgr. but then how do i bring down soil ph to ideal range?

o

Well you can use pelleted sulfur to bring it down but the stuff works slowly. You can use vinegar for a temp fix or you can use sulfuric acid. If your mix is good and acidic it is best if you just use rainwater for irrigation as that solves the PH problem. Right now your plant is super stressed so you will have to baby it.....

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here