Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
robthomas_gw

Sundance apple

RobThomas
10 years ago

Has anyone grown this apple or tasted it? I can't find a lot of info, other than what's on the Purdue site. Seems like it has exceptional disease resistance, including CAR, which is terrible here. I'm looking at possible selections for my plant order this year, and this one looks interesting, at least from what I'm reading on the Purdue site.

Here is a link that might be useful: Sundance

Comments (9)

• RobThomas
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Well, since no replies, looks like this apple may not be very popular- at least not well known. The only place I could find it for sale is Gurney's and Henry Fields (I think these companies are related). I live very near one of the suppliers for these two companies, so hopefully they are growing it, and I can get if from them - for much cheaper - $5 - $7. At that price even if it's a dud there's no real loss.

Anyway, if anyone is familiar with this apple, let me know what you think.

• bob_z6
    10 years ago

Rob,

I'm growing Sundance, but I haven't tasted it yet. My tree is in its 3rd leaf, from Cummins on G11. It is carrying 10-15 apples now, so hopefully I'll get to try it this fall.

While I haven't had any serious problems with it, it does get cedar apple rust. It appears to have about the same amount as the Goldrush which is 2 trees down in the row.

Most of my trees have CAR to some degree (I haven't sprayed at all). I took a quick look up and down the rows and Pitmaston Pineapple and Akane are the only trees without any CAR. William's pride just has a little, with Liberty and Priscilla not looking too bad either.

• swampsnaggs
    10 years ago

The sundance apple tree produces a large yellow tasty apple. You may find that the tree is not very disease or insect resistant. Plant it in full sun.

• mrsg47
    10 years ago

Rob, I grow 'Pristine' a yellow apple that is also from Purdue. It is precocious and is ripe by the end of July early August and is delicious. It also starts fruiting in its second or third year. It is an excellent eat off the tree apple or for cooking. It is very disease resistant, which is why it is in my orchard. Mrs. G

• RobThomas
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Bob, thanks for the info and the pic. I'd consider that an acceptable amount of CAR. My young Goldrush got completely covered up in it, but most of my other trees had little or none. Williams Pride, Liberty, and Enterprise got none, Pristine got a little, and Honey Crisp got a moderate amount. Let me know what you think of the taste when you try some.

• hannah9880
    10 years ago

I have a Sundance purchased in 2006 from Henry Fields. In 2011, our banner year here in Michigan, it produced wonderful tasting apples. In 2012, no apples here in my location. This year I have perhaps a dozen apples (frost on May 13th) and I look forward to tasting them again.

• tedgrowsit
    3 years ago

Since this post seven years ago, I have been having trouble getting a reasonable crop load from these trees. The ones I get are large and tasty, but very few. "Maybe next year." Farmers need optimism.

• Stuart Keckis
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Oh, yeah. Sundance is a very tasty apple. A few months ago I ate it on my aunt's farm