Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
no! ... hail !

Posted by franktank232 z5 WI (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 25, 13 at 16:59

Lot of my fruit is knocked off or damaged.. The orchards just west of here in MN just got slammed...

photo July25hailstorm.jpg

These were jagged, long pieces... maybe 4 or 5 inches. It sounded like someone was throwing rocks at the house.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: no! ... hail !

• Posted by fruitnut z7b-8a,4500ft SW TX (My Page) on
    Thu, Jul 25, 13 at 17:09

Wow, that's an ugly looking hailstone!! How badly were your trees affected?

o

Frank, you and Fruitnut have really suffered from white ice this year. It is actually scary. The look of that barbed clump of ice in your hand is dangerous. I hope your trees made it through the storm. Mrs. G

o

FN-

That is a few pieces... still enough to do a lot of damage.

o

Frank,
That's one ugly ice!!. Hope the damage to your trees and fruit is limited. I remember those beutiful pictures of the young fruit you posted.

You have it rough this year, man. So sorry for any loss of your fruit.

o

My pluots are on wheels..i was smart enough to move them under the overhang so the pluots are fine...it did take off one little branch that was hanging out, but no fruit...the donot peaches also made it through..apples got shredded, pears were shredded and the plums got majorly thinned...still enough fruit out there, but i feel bad for these apple growers that are doing this to make a living...

o

Wow, That's rough.
I grew up in the Midwest with vivid memories of what those big summer thundercrackers can do. I thought I had seen some ugly hail, but have never seen anything that shape or size. I can be believe "shredded" to be an accurate description of the damage it would do.

o

Wow, that's some mean looking hail. So sorry to hear about your crop.

Growing fruit is like gambling in Vegas....except that Vegas probably gives better odds.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here