Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Apple grafting

Posted by fruitluvr13 10 (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 28, 12 at 17:03

Hi I have an apple tree in my backyard and I don't know what kind it is but the apples taste pretty gross so I wondering if it would be possible to graft a better tasting apple on to it. If so what apples would fruit best in my area. I live in zone 10 southern california.
Thanks in advance.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Apple grafting

• Posted by Goyo626 USDA 8B/Sunset Zone (My Page) on
    Sat, Jul 28, 12 at 18:57

Yes, you can graft over the apple. As for the zone I am guessing your talking about usda hardiness zone and not sunset zone. I can't really guide you toward a particular variety because I don't know what kind of characteristics you are looking for in an apple. You must also take into account having a suitable pollinator for your varieties. However, a resource I have found helpful in finding suitable varieties for my area and taste is kuffelcreek apple nursery, they list the 20 apple varieties that are favorited by a grower who operates in riverside california. I am sure some of the more experienced people can help you out with better info, as well as places where you can acquire scionwood.

o

The guy from Kuffel Creek also has some helpful videos about grafting on YouTube.

o

• Posted by Goyo626 USDA 8B/Sunset Zone (My Page) on
    Sun, Jul 29, 12 at 13:42

Also, if you need literature on vegetative propagation (grafting and other techniques) Google "vegetative propagation techniques" the pdf was quite useful for me.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here