Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Italian Plum tree and weather

Posted by MrsG47 7 RI (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 14, 13 at 17:08

Due to all of the rain, humidity and fog, I have my first two plums that have brown rot. EGAD!!! Never say never. The tree is loaded with plums (the size of a very large olives) They are starting to turn color so the netting goes on tomorrow am.

Now we have a prediction of 70% humidity and 87 degrees all week long. The only trees that love this weather are my citrus.

My first Caroline raspberries were picked an eaten immediately this early afternoon. I netted my blackberries. The birds really don't seem to care much about my Carolines.

Hot day here in Newport, but I still put up my first 9 pints of seedless blackcurrant jam.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Italian Plum tree and weather

Made a typo, our humidity for the week is between 93-97%. ugh

o

Sorry to hear about the brown rot. We are getting the same weather here. How do you remove seeds from your currants? I'm about ready to make raspberry jam, this year a small batch from wild raspberries I foraged this weekend. My domestic raspberries I plan on making fruit leather. I need to use them in a way that uses less sugar. Making leather I don't have to add any sugar if I want. I usually add a little bit. I'm going to have so many I will be cooking with raspberries for a long time! The summer crop is near over, but the fall crop is right around the corner.

o

I use a 'food mill'. I have three. The best one I have is my Eurodib. It is a hand turn operation. A bowl with a handle etc.

If you're really going to use it I suggest this one, my favorite
Eurodib (S3) - Semi-Professional Food Mill

it will remove all seeds and leave you only with fruit pulp and juice. Mrs. G

o

Thanks MrsG47. A simple fine strainer works for raspberries or blackberries, is easy and not messy, but currant seeds are too small.

o

Currant seeds are bigger than raspberry seeds.

o

"Currant seeds are bigger than raspberry seeds."

I guess I better get some new eye glasses! Red currant? Really? I don't have any black currants. OK, well I guess my strainer can work! It does keep some of the pulp out, I still want the mill. I never really compared size, The currant seeds never bothered me, but the raspberry seeds do. Maybe just because you have a lot more of them. So it made me think currant seed was smaller.
I would actually like to do something with the seed. Both currant and raspberry seeds are really good for you! I guess I could make oil, but I have no idea how to do that!?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here