Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Blueberry fungus

Posted by sharppa z6/PA (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 18, 12 at 17:10

A powder blue blueberry plant I have has some red discoloration on the leaves. Does anyone think this is a fungus? It looks a bit like some powdery mildew fungus pictures that I found online but there is zero whitish growth on the leaves.

I was going to try a sulfur spray to see it helps. With all these heat, can I safely spray at dusk after it cools off a bit?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Blueberry fungus

Its a type of fungus. I had to spray all my rabbiteyes this season because of how wet it has been in my area. I would spray late in the evening, night or early in the morning. Some fungus sprays require a second application 2 weeks after the first one.

o

Is this a fungus that spreads from plant to plant quickly?

Will it kill a plant?

o

I dont believe it will kill a plant but it will make the plant defoliate early and that will limit the amount of fruit buds that develope in the fall. What I did was after I picked the last fruits I thinned out the branches and canes to limit the amount of spraying I had to do and to remove alot of the infected leafs. Its also good for the plant because it opens up the plant for air circulation and sunlight which will keep alot of fungus at bay with out even spraying. Usually thats the problem to begin with. I dont think most people prune blueberries hard enough so if the plants are too thick with branches and leafs it doesnt allow the plants to dry out quickly enough and causes fungus issues. If you go ahead and prune it hard now and spray you will have plenty of time left this growing season to put on some growth and fruit buds for next spring.

If you do prune be sure to sterilize your clippers with a bleach rag between every cut so you dont spread disease. Also be sure to remove any fallen leafs around your plants. Good house keeping will help keep fungus and disease at a minimum. Also try not water the leafs if you can. Only water the soil under the plant.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here