Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Peach Tree Problem

Posted by CFK94 IL (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 3, 13 at 17:12

We bought a peach tree last year and it grew wonderfully but over the winter rabbits ate the bark around the bottom of the trunk and killed the top of the tree. the tree started regrowing from the bottom and roots will this grow into a productive tree or should I pull it out. I have the exact same thing with a pear next to it

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Peach Tree Problem

If it's growing from the rootstock, then what you have are suckers, and you should start over with a new tree.

o

• Posted by fruitnut z7b-8a,4500ft SW TX (My Page) on
    Wed, Jul 3, 13 at 17:37

If the growth is from above the graft it will regrow into the original tree. If growth is from below the graft then all you have is the rootstock. Any fruit from that isn't worth growing.

Can you see the graft location? It should show up as a difference in color of bark or a bend in the trunk.

o

If the peach tree is growing on its own roots it should do quit well. if it is grafted, it is not worth messing with. All I ever worked with is own root peach trees from seed or cuttings and they do very well, produce big time and then die.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here