Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
container blueberry ??

Posted by berry_Bob 5 se,SD (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 6, 13 at 17:19

I have read many post on folks up potting the bushes , can a person just plant them in a 25 gal pot right off the get-go ?

Thanks
Bob

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: container blueberry ??

Bob,

Here in Florida some of the commercial folks grow in half barrels and go right from 3 gallon pots to the 30 gallon pots. On most plants you are not supposed to do that but it actually helps the blueberries establish. For one they want always moist and the larger container helps with that and it keeps the roots cooler. Go for it.

o

ok thanks , one is in a gallon pot the other is in a 3 gallon

o

With most plants it would hold too much moisture. For most plants you want the soil to dry out mostly before you water again. Because the BB like moist it is a very good way to go about it. In a 30 gallon pot with a good pinebark peat mix you should never have to repot them.

o

• Posted by mrclint z10SoCal Valley (My Page) on
    Sat, Jul 6, 13 at 21:00

berry_Bob, it will work. You will just be watering more soil than the plant needs. The directions that I followed for starting out with BB called for the following:
* Start all 4 inch to 1 gallon plants in 2 to 5 gallon containers.
* For established 2 to 5 gallon plants, choose a 16 to 20 inch container.

It was easy and worked well for me. Let us know how things go for you.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here