Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help ID these wild berries

Posted by rawley 5a/b IA (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 24, 14 at 17:21

Hi all,

Back again with some wild berries I have found on our property. I think I know what they are, but want to get some expert opinions if I am correct and if they are edible.

Here is the first picture, which I think is some type of wild blackberry. Thoughts?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help ID these wild berries

Second photo I think is some type of wild cherry?

o

The last one I think is a mulberry?

o

• Posted by Drew51 5b/6a SE MI (My Page) on
    Thu, Jul 24, 14 at 21:40

I think you got all three right! Unsure of species?

o

• Posted by ericwi Dane County WI (My Page) on
    Thu, Jul 24, 14 at 22:24

I think you are correct, except that the cherry is likely not wild. I suspect that black cherries are a cultivar of some sort.

o

Yup, yup and yup. I agree with Eric though, the cherry is likely a chance seedling. Are the cherries any good, or quite sour?
I'm surprised the birds left any on the tree. I guess that's how you know it wasn't cultivated...LOL!

o

There is no scale and the fruit stems are not very clear but as far as I can tell the cherries are growing in racemes and the leaves are not matt. So they will be a wild type.

o

Thanks to everyone for confirming my guesses. I did try one of those wild cherries and they were probably the tartest thing I have every tasted in my life. Definitely a reason the birds are leaving them alone! The wild blackberries are a different story. I was pleasantly surprised by those. The ones which were fully to just over ripe were really sweet and had great flavor. Found a huge patch of them along our woods, so we are in luck! If the wild berries are this good, can't wait for my Triple Crown berries to ripen in a few weeks! BTW, do wild black berries spread by tip rooting like the TC's?

Thanks again!

o

If the cherries are growing in racemes, then it is likely some kind of choke-cherry. Not worth eating fresh, but they make an excellent jelly.

o

You may be a little disappointed in the off-the-vine flavor of your Triple Crown blackberries, as from my experience having grown them and other trailing thornless types, they arent very sweet per se. You have to pick them at just the right time in order to get any sweetness, and if they appear fully dark colored, but still slightly hard, they may not be ready yet. So you cant necessarily always go by the color of the berries alone. You have to wait til they have turned dark purple and the individual berries have swollen somewhat before they are fully ripe. Even then they wont be as sweet as a black raspberry for instance.

o

I want to say that the first photo is of what is called a "wine berry". I am pretty sure of this because our 10 yr. old daughter just finished a week of nature camp and the director told her that they are edible but a little on the tart side.

o

The first photo is NOT a wineberry. Its a wild blackberry. Mrs. G

o

• Posted by Drew51 5b/6a SE MI (My Page) on
    Wed, Jul 30, 14 at 21:05

"You may be a little disappointed in the off-the-vine flavor of your Triple Crown "

No you won't! One of the best blackberries around, Top rate!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here