Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tell me about honeyberries

Posted by bakemom z6 Central Ohio (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 10, 12 at 17:22

I was intrigued by this fruit. I am in both Columbus and Chillicothe (Freanklin and ross counties) zones 6. What can you tell me about them...your personal experiences?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tell me about honeyberries

Below link to 7 web pages on Honeyberries maybe answer there.

Here is a link that might be useful: Honeyberries

o

I find the berries to be very tart! there are newer varieties in Canada that are said to be much better, but I'll wait until somebody can actually vouch for there taste.

o

With Honey berries you need cross pollinator so plant 2 variety's.

o

This is a good fruit for cold climates, it might work for you, a discussion is on here, [link]

Here is a link that might be useful: Haskap

o

Not sure if this helps but I asked a person in the U.S. doing trials/breeding about them if this info is any useful:

----- My Message/questions -----
Hello,
I was referred to you by someone on gardenweb forums and said you do extensive work with HoneyBerries.
I was just curious that at some point in garden, I think I will make some room to plant a couple HoneyBerry plants (assume you need two different varieties to fertilize each other).
I live around Philadelphia, PA which has humid summers and cold winters (well relatively cold, usually minimum lows around 15-20F).
The person i talked to said the more moderate climate HoneyBerries out of Japan might be best way to go. I was just curious if you had some recommendations on varieties.

Also can HoneyBerries be grown in the shade/partial shade as thats where i can make most room in garden right now?

Thanks!,
Arian

#################
Dear Arian,
The plants that I work with are Japanese haskap (a different subspecies of blue honeysuckle than honeyberries.) For information about this new crop please google "haskap" and read my article "Haskap arrives in North America". It was published by the Home Orchard Society in Oregon.
There are 2 kinds of blue honeysuckle available in nurseries. 1) honeyberries that are of Russian origin" and Canadian haskap (not of Japanese origin). I have not yet released any true Japanese haskap but hope to do so within a few years. These are well adpated to moderate climates such as W. Oregon. I am told that my selections on trial in Saskatoon, Canada also are doing well.

I'm not sure how much shade they will tolerate.
Maxine Thompson

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here