Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Heirloom Tomatoes

Posted by redgreentomatomimono NYC (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 8, 13 at 17:27

Hi people,

I have been inactive for a while so let me reintroduce myself. I am a 15 year old gardening enthusiast in Brooklyn, NY. I love heirloom tomatoes best of all. This summer I was surprised and happy when my heirlooms finally made it past the seedling stage. But, I went away for ten days and therefore could not properly care for the now large plants. My mom dutifully watered them but they need transplanting and I will not be able to transplant them all until the middle of this week. I am growing Green Zebra, Tigerella, and Yellow Jubilee. Of them all, only Green Zebra has fruit, although the rest have flowers. Will the delayed transplanting stunt their growth?

P.S. my lemon balm seeds did not germinate after more than two weeks?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Heirloom Tomatoes

Congratulations on your nicely growing heirloom tomato plants. Just transplant them as soon as you can and they should be fine. Yes, tomatoes are technically fruits but there is also a tomato forum where you might get more tomato specific feedback.

o

I should clarify, by growth I am primarily focused on yield. and by yield I mean many reasonably sized fruits rather than one or two enormous ones. This will not affect their yield in any way even though it will be too cold by October for them to continue growing?

o

I would suspect leaving them in a small pot will definitely affect yield. I would think you would want them in a permanent pot long before they fruit.

o

The transplant results depend largely on how many of the roots your potted plants have touching the pot (rootbound).

How large are the pots?. Are you transplanting into the ground or into another pot?

P.S. Are you referring to the leafy herb lemon balm or the tomato Lemon Boy? Try the herb forum for the lemon balm.

o

The bottom line is that you want to get them in their permanent home, whether in the ground or in a large container, as soon as possible, and hope for the best. You still have at least 2 months of good growing season left.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here