Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
westover_gw

What are those red-leafed cherry (?) trees?

westover
14 years ago

They are common ornamental trees often seen along sidewalks here in Portland Oregon, perhaps 25 feet tall, with dark red leaves. And occasionally one of them drops a fruit that looks like a cherry, although I haven't tasted them. I thought ornamental cherries were incapable of bearing fruit, so I'm puzzled.

Sorry I can't post a photo, I haven't learned how to do that yet.

Comments (9)

• Konrad___far_north
    14 years ago

Could it be Schubert Chokecherry?

Konrad

Here is a link that might be useful: Schubert Chokecherry

• Embothrium
    14 years ago

The most common are various named selections of purple-leaved plums as well as spontaneous purple-leaved cherry plum seedlings. People other than nursery persons sometimes plant the plums and grow their own unnamed selections. Named selections purchased from nurseries and planted here consist both of pure cherry plum forms like 'Krauter's Vesuvius' and 'Thundercloud' as well as hybrids such as 'Newport'. 'Spencer Hollywood' is planted specifically as a fruit tree, may be rather often seen darkening part of orchard plantings. It is usually acquired as 'Hollywood' - but that is actually a different, older introduction.

Purple-leaved chokecherries and bird cherries are present but much less abundantly. These produce flowers and fruits in spikes rather than in bunches or by themselves.

• Embothrium
    14 years ago

...from the world authority...

Here is a link that might be useful: Article - Purpleleaf Plum Trees by Arthur Lee Jacobson

• larry_gene
    14 years ago

Occasionally these cherry/plum-like street fruits are surprisingly sweet.

• westover
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Ah, I see now from your answers that it is a purple-leaf plum, Prunus cerasifera. The fruit is not like the chokecherry. Thank you all for answering.

• chuck60
    14 years ago

I have two different purple-leaf plums. Both made a few fruits this year which were very good tasting. Strange thing is that my fruiting plums made no fruit at all this year.

Chuck

• mudflapper
    14 years ago

Hi Westover,
    Having grown up in the Portland area, I can tell you those are some of the best tasting plums one could ever hope to eat,I am planting several types of the red leaf plum in hopes of getting lucky with the right variety. The size being in between a gigantic Cherry and a small plum, grab all the fruit you can get because the flavor is divine... if by chance you find the name of the variety, please post it!

• home_grower
    14 years ago

I just posted this in a simular thread. In So Cal they are very popular. My local nursery labels them as a "Flowering Plum" right next to the green leafed "Fruiting Plum". I have two in my yard, one that is about 8 years old in the back and another that is about 4 in the front. I get lots of little plums on the older one but the squirrels in the area usually get most of them. I just ate one today and it was almost too sweet. It also had very dark juice that temporarily stained my hands.

Here is the older one in the backround.
    {{gwi:121029}}

Here is what the fruit looks like. Some have gotten a little larger since I took this pic. (they are in front of course)
    {{gwi:121030}}

• Embothrium
    14 years ago

Some, like 'Krauter's Vesuvius' and 'Thundercloud' are cherry plums (Prunus cerasifera forms). Others, such as 'Newport' and 'Spencer Hollywood' ('Hollywood' misapplied) are hybrids involving other species.