Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Fruit progress pics

Posted by peachymomo Ca 8 (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 14, 13 at 17:42

I started growing fruit five years ago when my Mom got a house with a large and sunny yard. There were several fruit trees already there, a few of which I had to remove, but the Weeping Santa Rosa plum and the Pink Pearl Apple are definite winners in my book and both are bearing well this year. The first tree I planted was the Babcock peach (5 years ago,) and we're getting our first harvest this year. Most of the other trees are 3 or 4 years old, and are giving their first fruits too. I've learned a lot, this forum and it's helpful knowledgeable folks have helped immensely, but I know there is still a lot left for me to learn. I have a list of things I would do differently next time and trees I would like to have someday, but I'm happy with the results I've gotten from my work so far.

Santa Rosa Plum
santa rosa plum photo orchardpics001.jpg
santa rosa plum photo orchardpics104.jpg

Pink Pearl Apple
pink pearl apple photo orchardpics021.jpg
pink pearl apple photo orchardpics027.jpg

Babcock Peach - The first fruit tree I planted, before I'd done any research on good varieties or anything. Nevertheless, I have to say a homegrown peach of any kind beats a store bought peach any day. I'm in heaven eating peaches and cream for dessert every night.
babcock peach photo orchardpics010.jpg
babcock peach photo orchardpics016.jpg

Elephant Heart Plum - I can't wait to eat these, it's been years and years since I've had a good one.
elephant heart plum photo orchardpics038.jpg
elephant heart plum photo orchardpics033.jpg

D'anjou Red Pear - I got my first two fruits this year, four years after planting is pretty precocious for a European pear, isn't it?
d'anjou red pear photo orchardpics052.jpg
d'anjou red pear photo orchardpics049.jpg

Rio Oso Gem Peach - a lot of these peaches are oddly shaped and/or lopsided, is that normal for this variety?
rio oso gem peach photo orchardpics077.jpg
rio oso gem peach photo orchardpics078.jpg

Flavor Grenade Pluot - Third year for this tree, I'm excited to taste my first fruits.
flavor grenade pluot photo orchardpics066.jpg
flavor grenade pluot photo orchardpics064.jpg

Flavor King Pluot- Another three year old, only four fruits on this one, I hope no more drop off.
flavor king pluot photo orchardpics056.jpg
flavor king plout photo orchardpics058.jpg

Thornberry Apple- A baby I got as a bench graft four years ago, it has two little apples that I probably shouldn't leave on but I'm going to anyway.
thornberry apple photo orchardpics032.jpg

Vanessa Grape - The prettiest if not the best tasting of my grapes. It's getting color first, most of the rest are all green and therefore hard to tell apart in the pictures.
vanessa grape photo orchardpics101.jpg

Thanks for all your help and advice everyone, and have a peachy day!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Fruit progress pics

Peachy! Wow! It all looks fantastic. I must say, growing in California is a totally different beast than the East Coast growing. All of your trees and fruits and leaves look so healthy. Great job! Mrs. G

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here