Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
goyo626

Need advice on fruit tree care. Photos included

I have been lurking this forum for the better part of a year and have finally decided to ask the community for help on various fruit trees that are currently on my property.

I planted a royal lee and minnie royal both on 3cr178 rootstock (from bay laurel nursery) this January (2012). I was expecting a year old whips, but was surprised as I received much older trees. Because of this I was apprehensive of heading the whip a knee high as Tom Spellman and other experts advise. I decided to head the trees a lot higher than that. The trees put on a ridiculous amount of growth. I wanted to train them to a central leader but the problem is that they are not in balance and there is not much lateral branching. I was hoping to get advise as to how to prune the trees as well as if I should continue trying to grow the trees to a central leader or train them to an open vase system?

{{gwi:121077}}

Notice that there is no significant branching on the right most branch (central leader).

{{gwi:121078}}

The second cherry tree has branched lower than the other tree but the central leader has not put out higher scaffolds

{{gwi:121079}}

{{gwi:121080}}

I would appreciate advice on how much to prune on trees (1/3, 1/2, 2/3, 1/5, etc.)

I also purchased a potted parfianka pomegranate from a local nursery. When I brought it home it was very healthy looking. Since it was very hot I decided not to plant it until it cooled down. I water it every 7 to 10 days However, it has deteriorated rapidly. Its leaves have yellowed and fall off at the slightest touch. Should I plant the tree even though it is hot? Or maybe the pot is too small or the plastic pot becomes too hot?

{{gwi:121081}}

{{gwi:121082}}

{{gwi:121083}}

{{gwi:121084}}

I was also looking for advice on how to train a guava tree Open center or central leader?

{{gwi:121085}}

{{gwi:121086}}

Finally, Should I summer prune this 4-in-1 apple or just wait until winter?

{{gwi:121088}}

Thank you for your time.

Comments (4)