Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need advice on fruit tree care. Photos included

Posted by Goyo626 CA USDA 8B Sunset 20 (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 12, 12 at 17:44

I have been lurking this forum for the better part of a year and have finally decided to ask the community for help on various fruit trees that are currently on my property.

I planted a royal lee and minnie royal both on 3cr178 rootstock (from bay laurel nursery) this January (2012). I was expecting a year old whips, but was surprised as I received much older trees. Because of this I was apprehensive of heading the whip a knee high as Tom Spellman and other experts advise. I decided to head the trees a lot higher than that. The trees put on a ridiculous amount of growth. I wanted to train them to a central leader but the problem is that they are not in balance and there is not much lateral branching. I was hoping to get advise as to how to prune the trees as well as if I should continue trying to grow the trees to a central leader or train them to an open vase system?

cherry tree 1
Notice that there is no significant branching on the right most branch (central leader).

Photobucket

The second cherry tree has branched lower than the other tree but the central leader has not put out higher scaffolds

cherry tree 2

cherry  tree 2

I would appreciate advice on how much to prune on trees (1/3, 1/2, 2/3, 1/5, etc.)

I also purchased a potted parfianka pomegranate from a local nursery. When I brought it home it was very healthy looking. Since it was very hot I decided not to plant it until it cooled down. I water it every 7 to 10 days However, it has deteriorated rapidly. Its leaves have yellowed and fall off at the slightest touch. Should I plant the tree even though it is hot? Or maybe the pot is too small or the plastic pot becomes too hot?

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

I was also looking for advice on how to train a guava tree Open center or central leader?

Photobucket

Photobucket

Finally, Should I summer prune this 4-in-1 apple or just wait until winter?

Photobucket

Thank you for your time.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need advice on fruit tree care. Photos included

Watering that potted pomegranate every 7-10 days isn't nearly enough. You should water every day or every other day, preferably in morning. It may less now that it is nearly dead and won't be using much water. I'd imagine it was being watered every day at the nursery. Don't drown it just try to keep it moist by checking every day.

If you want more branching on your trees head them this winter.

o

• Posted by Goyo626 USDA 8B/Sunset Zone (My Page) on
    Thu, Aug 2, 12 at 13:38

I want to thank you Fruitnut for you wonderful advice, it seems the pomegranate has reacted well to more frequent sprinkling of water. I am surprised that the tree reacted so quickly. Anyway, here are some pics of the progress.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

o

Egads. Soak your pomegranate pot, don't sprinkle it :-) We have been very hot here in Calif these last few weeks. Once it has recovered, and you see new flush, fertilize it with some citrus fertilizer, watering in well. Wait until things cool off a wee bit and then plant it in the ground. They are deciduous, so don't be surprised if the leaves drop in the fall. Parfianka is a delicious variety, good choice. And don't be afraid to take your cherry trees way down. They act like David Austin roses do here, grow like weeds. I had to prune away about 4' of new growth on mine this year, it was crazy.

Patty S.

o

Thu, Aug 2, 12 at 14:39

i was using sprinkle in a relative sense as i was drowning it before. since i started watering less but every other day (2.5 wks) the tree has grown, put out new leaves, as well as several flowers.

o

Thu, Aug 2, 12 at 14:39

i was using sprinkle in a relative sense as i was drowning it before. since i started watering less but every other day (2.5 wks) the tree has grown, put out new leaves, as well as several flowers.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here