Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Grapevine disease, is it too late to save?

Posted by garden_tink 10 (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 8, 12 at 17:49

This picture best describes the state of my entire vine except for new growth at the top of the canopy with itty bitty clusters forming, is it to late to apply a fungicide to save the fruit? Will the fruit still be edible? The grapes on the majority of clusters are about 1/4 to 1/2 inch in diameter. The leaves are a little worse off than this pic, some very grayish, most with brown spots / areas. Comments and advice much appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Grapevine disease, is it too late to save?

Oops, no picture. Please try again.

o

Trying to send again

o

My actual vine from under the canopy.

o

Looks to me like your fruit and vines are covered in a massive case of powdery mildew. There is no saving the fruit at this point. You might try to salvage enough leaves to muster a crop next year.

For control you need to start back in early spring. UC Davis has good guidelines.

Here is a link that might be useful: powdery mildew

o

Thank you fruitnut, what about the cane, should I prune it back in the fall? Now? What do you mean by saving a few leaves? The cane appears affected as well on closer inspection and comparison to images of diseased specimens online. I am a first time grower, I read plenty, somehow missed the spring prep and diseases to watch for. This vine is on an arbor (no shade) and is 8 feet tall by 15 feet in length (the vine). Thanks again for the link, I'll check it out. Just wondering what to do in the interim with a bum crop.

o

The fruit, leaves, and canes can be infected, yours are badly. Your fruit is beyond saving so remove all of it now. Spraying sulfur or another fungicide from the link above now might help maintain some leaves to strength the vine for next years crop. Don't worry about what's on the canes and don't prune off anything now except do remove all fruit. It will just rot later if not removed and is draining the vine. You will need to do your normal pruning next winter.

If it were me I'd get one of the strong systemic fungicides and spray as directed the rest of this year. Not sure it will help but won't hurt. The link above recommends many classes of fungicide, chose one of those.

o
Specfic fungicides

In case I wasn't specific enough the best fungicides are Elite, Procure, Rally, Rubigan, Abound, Flint, Sovran, and Pristine or others with those active ingredients. Spray one of these to try to keep the leaves alive. Don't remove any leaves except you can burn or dispose of dead ones. You need the leaves and canes now to store carbohydrates for next years crop. Removing the fruit will reduce the drain on the plant.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here