Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
New melon call honey kiss. Just WOW.

Posted by sunny-orchard 7A_VA (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 9, 13 at 17:49

Hi all,

This is the second time i bought this melon. I got them at the asian supermarket. Looks exactly like Honey Kiss Melon. They are so good. Crispy like asian pear, very very sweet, refreshing. I don't think I have eaten any melon that's as good IMO. Cantalope are just bland since i start eating these. However it's $7 each they are kind of pricey for me. Does anyone know if it come true from seed? or where to buy these seeds? Just wow. I'll know if they come true from seed soon enough (if the deers don't wipe them out like everything else.)

Kenny

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: New melon call honey kiss. Just WOW.

Honey Kiss is described as a Hami melon. It is probably a proprietary hybrid. I'm growing a hybrid Hami type for the first time this year. Hamis are storage melons so this one went in my second planting. Link below.

I have grown "Extra Summer Sweet" from the same site, and have some planted this year. A great little melon. Beautiful, too. Not a crispy type. Brix may be high enough for Fruit Nut. Next year, I may try "Sweet Honda".

If you're saving seeds from a hybrid, you may not get anything close to the melon you're eating this year. I planted seeds from a hybrid specialty melon one year and got a very strange assortment of melons - not much like the F1 parent at all.

Here is a link that might be useful: Hami Sweet Hybrid melon

o

sunny-orchard, how did that work out for you?

Curious, because I'd saved a couple of seeds from a honey kiss, got tired of running into them every time I cleaned up, and last Fri I tossed them out into a bare spot in one of my beds, not really expecting anything since the ground is still scorching hot here.

They came roaring up overnight and are already starting on their first real leaves this morning. Very vigorous little plants, but I do wonder what kind of fruit they will produce.

o

Carolyn is absolutely right. The melon that came from hybrid seed was horrible. They came out to be honey dew and tasteless. Most of the plants died b4 the melon were ripe.

o

Thanks very much. I figured they'd probably turn out to be more of a traditional oriental type.

o

Just thought I'd update this to say that while they grew like crazy (3 inches the first week!) they didn't like our rainy weather at all, so I snipped 'em off before they could spread powdery mildew everywhere. Didn't seem to have even minimal resistance to it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here