Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
peach tree leaf fungus?

Posted by lifespeed 9B (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 27, 09 at 17:50

My two peach trees newer leaves are looking bad. Kind of wrinkled, holes in them, yellow spots and some of them appear to have whitish fungus or mold on them.

I seem to have avoided the dreaded peach leaf curl using a dormant spray of lime sulfer and oil. But now, in mid summer, the outermost leaves on my two peach trees (Luther Burbank Elberta and Indian Blood) are not looking so good.

What disease do I have? What can be done about it? It looks fungal.

tree
tree
tree

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: peach tree leaf fungus?

It looks like bacterial spot. That is a very common peach disease in the east. I always have a bit of it. Spraying copper just after leaf fall and then just before new leaves come out in the spring keeps it at manageable levels. This time of year with that little amount just ride it out.

Scott

o

• Posted by olpea zone 6 KS (My Page) on
    Tue, Jul 28, 09 at 10:52

Scott,

I looked at these pictures shortly after they were posted, and it was puzzling to me. I'm thinking it's not bac. spot. We both know it's hard to make an online diagnosis, there are so many nuances. But notice his pictures seem to show the problem only on new growth. Normally bac. spot I get affects the leaves throughout the canopy. Plus the the leaves seem sorta crinkly. Quite frankly, I've not seen anything quite like this.

o

olpea, I have seen bacterial spot like this. New leaves are more susceptible and if it rained when they were young they can be the only ones hit. It is not common but if there has been a long dry period you will get lots of spot-free leaves and then when the rains finally come only the new leaves get it.

In general diseases can take on many different forms depending on the weather etc. Sometimes bacterial spot is just red spots on the leaves, nothing else. On young plum leaves there can be so much missing it looks like an insect ate 'em. etc.

Scott

o

The second picture shows the white mold-like stuff. I was equating this with the problem. The leaves are very crinkly, and it is only the newer, uppermost and outer leaves.

I am not so sure about bacterial spot. I sprayed both copper and lime sulfur (separately) with oil over the winter, and do not get any peach leaf curl.

What about powdery mildew? I hear this is common especially when the temps are warmer, which seems to coincide with this problem.

o

OK, I sprayed both trees with Myclobutanil (Immunox). The leaves at the tops of the trees are *really* bad.

Hope that does it.

o

There are signs of powdery mildew in the lower picture. Since there was none of that in the other pictures it did not look like the main problem. The Immunox will help with that but not with the holes which have nothing to do with powdery mildew.

Scott

o

I now realize that my wife's rose bushes are the Typhoid Mary of powdery mildew. I'm going to check the neighbor's roses also. I sprayed the cherry tree that is 12 feet away from the roses just in case. No symptoms on that tree.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here