Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Rootstock question, please.

Posted by MrsG47 7 RI (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 27, 14 at 17:57

Hi all, I've been researching rootstock, as I have citation and lovell growing in my orchard, off to the side . Basically the rootstock of one failed apricot and one failed Bavay. What types of fruit trees are lovell, krymsk, citation and M29. I've googled with no success. Thanks! Mrs. G

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Rootstock question, please.

• Posted by fruitnut z7b-8a,4500ft SW TX (My Page) on
    Sun, Jul 27, 14 at 18:47

Lovell is a peach seedling, the Lovell variety. Citation is an interspecific hybrid of several stone fruit species. The other two are probably also stone fruit hybrids. I'm not 100% sure of the last three.

o

Supposedly this is lovell peach: http://newenergyandfuel.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/Lovell-Peach-For-Genome-Research.jpg

The lovell peaches I saw on a tree were still small, green-yellow, and hard late in the season. Either they ripen very late or are just nasty. The minimal flesh it is what I imagined a wild peach would be like. Maybe the ones I saw were not a good representation of a typical lovell.

o

Thank you both so much. I would think that with all of the grafting going on we would have more information on these rootstocks. Thanks! Mrs. G

o

Citation is a peach x plum hybrid; it is patented as 4G816 (United States Patent PP05112).

Krymsk 1 rootstock is a cross between prunus cerasifera x prunus tomentosa, patented as VVA-1 (United States Patent PP15995).

o

Here is some info from the University of California, Division of Agriculture and Natural Resources California Stone fruit research:

"Krymsk 1 This is the only rootstock we have identified to provide resistance to root-lesion nematode. It is dwarfing by as much as 50% of that of Nemaguard. It hosts ring nematode at about the same level as Nemaguard so avoidance of sandy soils would be important. It has a resistance California Tree Fruit Agreement 2007 Annual Research Report 132mechanism to root-knot nematodes within root tissues older than 60 days but at its root tips it is susceptible to root-knot. Lovell, for example, is root- knot susceptible even within tissues that are five years old. Krymsk 1 rootstock has peculiar grafting affinities and the scions may not fully express incompatibility in their first year. It also suckers, thus there is need to obtain nursery stock that has been disbudded below the graft union. "

http://ucanr.edu/repositoryfiles/CTFA2007_129.pdf-92592.pdf

Here is a list of articles about stone fruit rootstocks from the University of California, Division of Agriculture and Natural Resources California Stone fruit research:

http://ucanr.edu/sites/ctfa/category/Rootstocks/?repository=46350&a=95280

o

I just ordered from Fowler's and they had this chart:

Here is a link that might be useful: Almond and Fruit Tree Rootstocks

o

I have used Krymsk 1 and found it to be more forgiving on water.. too much or too little.. then any other fruit rootstock I have used. But nothing old enough to offer any other info.

on that same subject ohfx87 is clearly more drown resistant then 333.

o

Thank you all again! All of this information is perfect for what I was looking for. My Krymsk 1 rootstock is suckering everywhere! And it takes heavy doses of round up to kill it. I have plenty left for grafting next spring. Mrs. G

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here