Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How to Ripen Elephant Heart Plums?

Posted by jacqueline3 9CA (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 14, 13 at 18:04

I am hoping some of you can help with this problem. We have a small elephant heart plum tree (actually it is a wild plum with elephant heart plums growing on it because it was grafted). Anyway, it is bearing lots of plums. The problem is that each year the bluejays, raccoons, & other critters get 90% of the plums - I think they know to the minute when they are ripe. So, my question is: can these plums be picked before they are ripe and then ripened in my kitchen, like tomatoes, or not? If yes, what is the best method? Thanks very much for your help - sorry I am so ignorant.

Jackie

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How to Ripen Elephant Heart Plums?

Jackie, Japanese plums picked a bit early and left to sit out will be edible but will not taste as good as tree-ripened ones. If its that or nothing then that may be your only option. I never pick my plums early, I'd rather get a third of them as ripe plums than a full load of underripe ones.

You should look into netting or otherwise protecting your trees. I have a plum ripening now and there is a squirrel trap right next to it and nuts all around the base of the tree to redirect the squirrel from plums to my trap.

Scott

o

Thanks, Scott. That is exactly what I wanted to know. I hadn't thought about squirrels - we have loads of them. We also have a doe with a 2 week old fawn in tow who hangs out in that part of the garden.

I will try netting and see what happens - thanks again.

Jackie

o

Do elephant heart plum trees have thorns? Is Santa Rosa really a good pollinator? How vigorous are the trees?

o

I recommend against black monofiliment netting and suggest you try a woven product such as provided by American netting, which sells 30X30' sections of the stuff.

It is more expensive but much easier to use- install it a couple of weeks before first ripening and remove immediately after harvest and it should last for years. You need to completely close off the tree and hope squirrels aren't hungry enough to chew through it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here