Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tropic Snow Peach in trouble...

Posted by mangodog palm springs 9B (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 30, 13 at 18:11

Hello!

First time on this particular forum. Have a quick question.
I've attached some pics of my not-doing-too-well Tropic Snow Peach Tree. It had a bunch of very tiny peaches about 2 months ago (I live in Palm Springs, CA) but there's been very little new growth and as you'll see in the photos,
it appears to have some trunk-based disease - is that gummosis? If so, is it better just to tear it out and start over?

I read that there is really no treatment for it other than keeping the tree healthy, and perhaps it will recover?

Any help would be appreciated....and it looks like I can only download one picture at a time......

Thanks - MangoDog

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tropic Snow Peach in trouble...

...here's a closeup of another sticky spot....

o

- and the overall look of the tree...

o

Tree looks good to me. Maybe a bit deficient in iron from high soil pH (and the heat seems to bother some "peach" trees).

Is gummosis in stone fruits a problem in your area---other than from weed eaters? Do you have borers? Looks like clear sap from a wound? The problem with Prunus species is they run a lot of sap before a wound closes off---keep an eye on soil moisture as a result this time of year.

I am wondering about sunburn. In our areas, tree should be painted white on exposed areas.

Also tags look like they should get moved up or risk girdling the main trunk if it hasn't already started.

I would contact and attend the next disease clinic of your MGs with better photos than you have presented here (like in focus).

Here is a link that might be useful: Riverside Co. Master Gardeners

o

Hi Fascist - I have a 4-n-1 Peach tree and also a Florida Prince peach tree, all planted within 10 feet of this one, that are growing like gangbusters!!!!!!!!!!!!! So I don't think heat is an issue.....

And I don't use any weed trimmers in this area at all. I don't know if gummosis is a problem here, but the other 2 peach trees are beyond vigorous.....Didn't notice the tag might have been choking the tree so will check that out.

Thanks for the Riverside Master Gardener link, too.

Much appreciate your help.....MDog

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here