Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Keeping birds away from apricot tree

Posted by carla1 5 (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 18, 14 at 18:24

I moved this summer and there is a huge apricot tree on the back corner of my property. The problem is that there are always birds (not sure what type of birds) in it. The person who lived here before said they were never able to get one piece of fruit.

I've been reading about bird abatement but most of the solutions won't work (a net--the tree is way too tall) or are too difficult (installing speakers with alternating bird noises and running wire far out into the yard).

The only thing that looks like it might work would be providing another food source for the birds. Has anyone successfully done this? Does it even work? Or are the birds too set in their ways? I saw big bags of birdseed today at Lowe's and I'm wondering if that's a viable option.

Any advice/feedback on this matter would be appreciated. Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Keeping birds away from apricot tree

• Posted by fruitnut z7b-8a,4500ft SW TX (My Page) on
    Fri, Jul 18, 14 at 19:16

IMO birdseed is just an invite for dinner and desert. You'd be providing both.

If you want apricots I'd suggest smaller trees and bird netting. I don't see anything else working very well.

o

No seeds or anything else would work I would think, one's they made up their mind that it's apricot for today, that's it!

Netting is about my only advise, you don't need to net all of it,
some branches, actually, I use row cover for berries, birds never
get tangled up, that light netting most places sell is rubbish, kills
birds.

o

I have lost interest in nets for mature trees. Big plastic owls work for a week or two. Reflective tape (hung from top of 10' pvc pipe) has worked good. Birds do not like fluttering ABOVE their heads. I am using the "sockies" for my peaches now. That works good. Birds are a pain!

o

I have been using reflective tape this year, it works reasonably well if you get it up right before the fruit starts ripening. I have a bunch of it I have been moving from tree to tree as things ripen.

Scott

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here