Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Large Larvae found in side the Rasberry fruit.

Posted by mehauser1 WA (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 4, 13 at 18:30

Raspberry fruit being invaded.
On July 4th, we found a large larvae inside some of the fruit. Along with this, we have found on the fruit some small egg bunches and on other fruit a fairly firm 1/2 silver shell on some the other fruit but could not find anything underneath. We live in NW Washington.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Large Larvae found in side the Rasberry fruit.

A raspberry is a small object, so by definition, the larva inside could not be "large". Fruit flies have been rampant in the region for several years and their larva can be found in many berries. Those larva can be 1/8 inch long and may look large for the size of a berry.

Fruit fly larva can be coaxed out of berries by putting the fruit in the fridge or in the freezer for some hours and then the larva can be removed with a toothpick.

The egg bunches could have been laid by stink bugs, and I don't know what a firm 1/2 silver shell is, perhaps you could re-word that.

o

Please post some pictures.

o

With exception of the things that look like mini-centipedes(no idea what they are) I really don't care about consuming bugs in my boysen/rasp/blackberries ...as long as I don't get any parasites I count it as extra free protein :)

Do you spray any insecticides? I was thinking about it but I don't want to kill beneficial pollinators since flowers don't come-up all at the same time.

Any pictures?

o

Wow, you guys really eat berries with bugs in them and berries that you pulled bugs out of? Idk if maybe I'm a sissy, but that seems crazy.

I drop the bug infested berries and hope the birds and squirrels eat those instead of the good ones on the plant.

I gave some old guy/neighbor a strawberry a couple days ago and noticed a big bug hole in it as I handed it to him and mentioned it, and he gladly accepted it anyways and then sucked the larva out of the hole and into his mouth and spit it out, then ate the berry. I thought it was hilarious. and gross. and completely unnecessary as I had a couple pounds of clean berries that he was welcome to.

o

Dropping infested fruit can be the worst thing to do, especially in the case of fruit flies; it just breeds more flies.

Now you have a new source of larva-berry disposal! Or maybe he was showing off and it was a 1-time deal.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here