Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
blueboy1977

Pruning Lychee Question

blueboy1977
9 years ago

I posted this question in the Tropical Fruit Forum as well and thought I should post it here too just in case. I have a Sweetheart Lychee that I got from a fruit tree sale this past Feb here in Houston Tx. Not sure how old the tree is but if I had to guess its probably around 2 or 3 years of age now. It was in a 15 gallon pot and I up potted it to a 25 gallon pot when I got it. Its proabably 6ft wide and tall now. I let it fruit and it only held on to 3 fruits. They are almost completely red now with just a touch of green still showing on the shell. I know its a little late in the season for fruit to be ripening but it is what it is. Ive read that you should prune around 6 inches off the branches in July after all the fruit has been harvested. Im getting ready to pull the 3 fruit in the next couple days but the problem Im having is whether or not I should prune all the branches. I know I will prune the 2 branches that have the fruit but all the other branches are currently pushing new growth. Should I prune all the branches any way including pruning off the new growth? From what Ive read, you prune in July and that will set some kind of biological clock in a Lychee and if all goes well it will have a growth flush in the cooler temps of winter to morph into flower penicals. If I dont prune the new growth thats occuring as we speak will that mess up the flowering/growing cycle?

Comments (2)