Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Peach Trees and fertilizers

Posted by blueboy1977 TX9A/B (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 16, 13 at 18:35

What fertilizers are y'all using for container peaches. I have a tropic snow that seems to be stalled out. It hasn't put in any more growth since the spring flush and its in a 30 gallon pot. I've been using Micro Life fert but I also have Ammonium sulfate, Aluminum sulfate, and Citrus Avacado fert that I could use. It does seem to be a little N2 deficient as the the mature interior leafs are lighter shade of green while the newer leafs are dark green. Would the one teaspoon Ammonium sulfate in 2 1/2 gallons of water be appropriate here?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Peach Trees and fertilizers

• Posted by fruitnut z7b-8a,4500ft SW TX (My Page) on
    Tue, Jul 16, 13 at 22:18

Yes I've used that often with good results. They need way more frequent fertilizer in pots than in ground. If you want to push growth on a peach fertilize the same as you would a blueberry.

I'd not use the aluminum sulfate on anything. And depending on your media ammonium sulfate could drop the pH lower than ideal for a peach.

I've also used the controlled release type fertilizers in conjunction with a water soluable type. One or two applications a year of controlled and once a week to once a month water soluable depending on how they are growing.

o

Thanks Fruitnut

o

Blueboy,

What made you grow it in a pot? Is your soil there a problem? I can tell you my peach trees love the AS. I am a peach newbie but I read somewhere that when the tree is making new leaves but yellowing the older leaves it is a N deficit?

o

Bam, just ran out of room in my back yard at this point. I have a Rio Red Grape fruit that has been struggling for a while now and I may pull it and replace it with the peach. Ive read the same thing about N2 deficit and it applies to blueberries as well. I potted up a Spring High this past spring and my mix had alittle too much wood in the mix, I was in a rush! Same symptoms, yellowing mature interior leafs. Alittle extra micro life was all she needed! The peach doesnt seem to respond as well to slow release organic ferts. I guess chem fert is the way to go with potted peaches.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here