Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Planting apple trees now?

Posted by Kali615 MD (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 27, 13 at 18:35

Hi Everyone.

I am not new to GW, but have not been to the fruit and orchard section as I have no trees. We are interested in getting apple, peach, pear, and fig eventually, but were going to wait until next year. However, I was just at my local Home Depot and they have a ton of apple trees marked down extremely cheap. They look healthy, but I know this is not the ideal time to plant them.

It is almost worth the risk as the cost is so cheap just to try, so I guess my questions are is there are reason we shouldn't? Is there anything we can do to make them take better to transplanting in late July/ early Aug when it is not ideal for them?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Planting apple trees now?

most trees from the big box stores are in pots which can be planted any time. If it was me and I wanted what they had I would give it a try. Just make sure it is for your zone with the right chill hours. Good luck PS I am a sucker for a good deal.

o

For me, it depends on how much land/space you have and how much you mind re. time investment. If you have plenty of space and do not mind planting an apple that may be mislabeled, go for it.

Otherwise, I prefers knowing a rootstock and being sure a variety I plant is the correct one. I hate to wait 3-4 years (or more) to find out the "red" apple I planted was actually a "yellow" one, or worse, a pear!!!

This goes with other fruit trees, too.

o

Thank you both for responding. I actually have plenty of space and tend to can anything I can get ahold of so if something comes up I didn't plan on, I will find a use for it (plus I have kids that will eat applesauce anything).

Thanks for the help, I think I will buy a few varieties and go for it. At $11 and $15 a tree I don't think I can go wrong.

o

Do the trees pollinate each other?

o

I've bought several trees from Lowe's when they put them on clearance. I bought them one year when it was too late to plant them in the ground so I kept them in the pots and planted them the following year. They are all doing great. I usually check with the garden manager and ask him when they will be getting rid of the unsold trees. He will then make me a great deal on them. I figure if they turn out to be a type I don't want I can always graft them. I usually pay between 5-6 a tree.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here