Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Grape Vine "Bud Break"

Posted by tania Zone10 Ca (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 18, 13 at 18:37

I have three buds that haven't broken through on half of my Grape vine cordon, which is a couple of years old now. Does anyone know of a way to make these buds break?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Grape Vine "Bud Break"

• Posted by tania Zone10 Ca (My Page) on
    Thu, Jul 18, 13 at 19:12

This is the area that needs vines/spurs.

o

• Posted by fruitnut z7b-8a,4500ft SW TX (My Page) on
    Thu, Jul 18, 13 at 22:09

The only way to push those buds is to cut off everything past them. The best time to do that would be next spring. But you might be better off replacing the whole arm. The replacement would be a strong cane that could be pulled over into that position next spring. The upright shoot on the left might work but it doesn't look strong enough to make a good replacement.

A picture of the whole vine would help by indicating overall vigor and size.

o

Fri, Jul 19, 13 at 3:05

I have a new cane coming up at the base of the trunk just in case, but I think I'd probably rather take a cane closest to the head of the vine and lay that one down to replace this one. I was just hoping there was a way to get those buds to break instead of having to do the mentioned. This half of the cordon in particular, was allowed to grow crazy, so the majority of the canes/spurs grew way passed the 3 1/2 foot length that is ideal for each half of the cordon. It was longer, so some of it has been cut which pushed some of of the buds to break. I just need these three, and all would be great!

o

Fri, Jul 19, 13 at 3:13

I'll snap a picture of the entire vine and post it.

This post was edited by tania on Fri, Jul 19, 13 at 3:17

o

try scoring the vine in some fashion. slightly damaging it my send them without complete removal. you have nothing to lose!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here