Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Keeping apples on the tree during growing season

Posted by Scoot2199 none (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 27, 14 at 18:43

I have an apple tree that my Grandfather grafted about 40 some years ago. I think one of the trees he used was called Early Yellow Harvest. My Mom thinks me other part of the graft was was Striped Astrigen. The problem is, the apples never stay on the tree through the growing season. Once they begin to grow, they start falling off all summer long. They don't stay on the tree to grow and ripen. Is there anything I can do to keep the apples on the tree until they are ready to be picked? I haven't pruned the tree and also need to deal with worms/insects in the fruit. I know when I tackle the worm/insect issue next year I want to keep it all natural. It's just very frustrating because there is so much fruit in the tree this year but it's falling off before it's ripened. Any ideas what's to do?
Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Keeping apples on the tree during growing season

Fruits will often drop when infested with pests. That's the first thing I'd try - getting rid of the pests. And thinning the fruit, because the tree will try to do it for you if you dont.

o

I agree. and keep reading this forum for how to do those things correctly

o

There are several very knowledgeable posters on this site. You may not be able to salvage this years crop but the following year you might achieve your goal. Posting pictures is always good. Sorry but I'm not one of the people that is very knowledgeable. I'm improving by reading other posted problems and I am improving as you can, if you have the desire to stay at it. There is no magic bullet. Good luck, Bill

o

I never considered the infestation of pests as the cause of the problem but it makes total sense. I figured it was too late for this years crop, hopefully next year will be good and I'm reading up now on when and how to treat the tree.
Thanks!

o

• Posted by fruitnut z7b-8a,4500ft SW TX (My Page) on
    Mon, Jul 28, 14 at 13:49

Coddling moth will knock most apples off tree where they are severe. Down here they aren't bad but we hardly have a winter. In most cold winter climates in USA they are bad. They have worms in fruit and frass on the outside.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here