Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Fruit-a-Palooza 2013

Posted by denninmi 6A SE Michigan (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 1, 13 at 18:52

Unbelievable! Even after the June drop, everything is loaded to the max. Based on past year's experiences, I would say I will probably end up with somewhere in the neighborhood of 30-35 bushels of peaches, 15-ish of pears, a couple of bushels of plums, maybe 3/4ths of apricots, and probably 25-30 quarts of Balaton cherries. Probably 2 bushels of paw paws, too.

Then there are the small fruits. Strawberries are done, but raspberries are starting, blueberries are loaded. Ditto grapes, currants, gooseberries, blackberries, kiwi, etc. I have two goumis loaded and ripening.

Oh, it's also my year for black walnuts, probably end up with about 30 bushels of nuts after the hulls are removed.

All I can say is "Help Me!"

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Fruit-a-Palooza 2013

Well it's SE MI so it's to be expected! :)

o

All I can say is I want to buy your black walnuts! Mrs. G

o

I forgot to mention the probably 50 bu of apples.

o

Let us know how the goumis turn out.

o

I have a few wild black walnuts around my house, but I never harvest them because they are such a pain to process! When I say wild, I just mean volunteers that sprouted in the woods near my house. Probably from squirrels moving the nuts.

And if you do need help, I'm in Sterling Heights, no problem!

This post was edited by Drew51 on Mon, Jul 1, 13 at 23:41

o

I'm jealous!

o

Same deal here where I was freeze fried last year in SE NY. I'm not ready to celebrate yet- all that's in is a few early apricots and a couple quarts of blueberries, but I've never spent nearly so much time thinning fruit here.

My clients who weren't frozen out last year have more a mixed bag. Generally, very good fruit set but some sites only moderate.

It's been an amazing early season. Very few biting insects until the mosquitos arrived, no ants in the house, regular, if a bit too much rain, great weather when plants needed pollinization, hardly any squirrels, etc, etc.

So you kinda expect a month of steady rain starting any day now to ruin everything. Actually, I don't expect it but I'm sure mentally prepared for some minor disaster to change this perfect projectery. Too good to be true if you don't live in Malibu.

o

How do you keep your balck walnut trees from killing your other fruit trees? Are they not that close? I had to cut my black walnut because it killed everything aournd it.

o

How many bushels of Honeycrisp? Should I just show up or do i need an appt? :) :) !

Good year here, even with all the rain. Apples look great, plums are full, apricots set way too many fruit...peaches are sizing up... the Seckel pear has a huge amount of fruit...

o

Cautious diminution of pessimism here.

o

Sweeeeeet! Enjoy your bounty. You worked hard for it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here